Convert M4A files to MP3

Terry Brown 16:02 26 Feb 2007

I had itunes on my old computer,when I transferred the files across to my new computer (using shared & network), they come across as M4a (Apple format). I do not want Itunes on my system. How can I convert them to MP3 without paying out about $30 for a conversion program, after all they converted from MP3 to M4a without any charge.
Terry

Terry Brown 16:51 26 Feb 2007

Help ?

moorie- 16:58 26 Feb 2007

ive seen this one linked a couple of times
click here

click on the free mp3 wma convertor bit on the left

Kate B 20:26 26 Feb 2007

If you've got the CDs, re-rip them as MP3s. Converting one lossy format to another lossy format inevitably results in a poor-sounding file.

SURVEY 09:39 27 Feb 2007

As all suggest, best method is to rip from CD's. However I realise that this is not always possible. I have converted some M4a files to mp3 successfully using moorie's link and I have not noticed any loss of quality (I always rip to 192kbps).

I note Kate's comment regarding poor sounding files when converting. I am a musician but have not noticed any loss when converting from wma to mp3. Is such a conversion really any more than changing file tags to be recognised? Is it a double compression, and if so surely it would be noticeable?

Terry Brown 20:30 28 Feb 2007

Thank you all for your suggestions.
I have decided to use moorie-suggestion of Soundtap (click here) and it has converted my files with as far as I can tell no loss of Quality.
Terry

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?