Convert DV to DVD

happyhotspur 14:09 25 Dec 2006

I am new to this sort of thing but how do I convert my mini dv film onto a DVD through my pc. I have a DVD burner and have Nero start smart and Cyberlink power dvd but cannot seem to get it to download to DVD. Yes I have a firewire card and correct adaptor.

Help please

postie24 16:16 25 Dec 2006
  De Marcus™ 18:24 25 Dec 2006
  happyhotspur 09:29 26 Dec 2006

Thanks for your replies but it still doesn.t seem to help.

I have tried Nero and all I get is a blank screen with the sound from my DV camera, also my camera goes into standby mode and switeches off after about four minutes of converting.

I have now tried Windows Movie Maker and the same thing happens if I save to my hard drive after about four minutes the camera switches off. Although I can actually see that it is recording to the hard drive. But surely each film will use a vast quantity of hard drive space. Is there any way I can record from my camera direct onto a dvd.

Still very confused

Pamy 11:00 26 Dec 2006

I think you have to solve the problem of your camcorder switching off after 4 mins first. Are you sure that you have it in "PLAYBACK MODE", not record on the camera? Try playing back in camera without it connected to anything . Will it playback for longer than 4mins?

happyhotspur 11:16 26 Dec 2006

Thanks Pamy, stupid me did not have the camcorder in play back mode, but do I still have to download the film to the PC hard drive and then convert to a DVD via my burner or can you record direct?

Its Christmas I should have tried this after the festivities it all might make more sense!

Pamy 11:47 26 Dec 2006

Your camcorder is DV therefore your download from camcorder to HDD will already be in DV format so no conversion required. Once on HDD you can use any editing prog that will burn to DV disk.. If you yous MM you will have to use something like the latest Nero to burn to DV as MM does not.

happyhotspur 12:34 26 Dec 2006

Once again many thanks now got it working and am using Ulead VideoStudio 30 day free trial and it seems to be working.

many thanks once again for your help, much appreciated

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?