Control panel locked out on some icons

Benfreeze 14:49 23 Nov 2007

Please help. On attempting to access various parts of the control panel I am blocked out becase 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe cannot be found'. Have ran through a complete scan with AVG Security Suite (the paid version)but although some items were deleted by that, the problem still remains. It all started yesterday when I tried to change the screen on loggon, but maybe it was just a coincidence.

The previous day I had downloaded a driver from Dell as there was no sound. This cured that problem! I don't think there is a connection as the Control Panel was accessed in between times without any problem.

I do not have a Windows CD as the OP was already on the PC. It was a secondhand unit.

Benfreeze.

BurrWalnut 15:21 23 Nov 2007

If some items are missing go to Start > Run, type regedit and press Enter then navigate to registry key
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\don’tload and delete items in the right pane that you want to see in Control Panel.

If you are denied entry to regedit it’s a classic symptom of infection.

Benfreeze 16:45 23 Nov 2007

Hi,Burr Walnut, got as far as don't load. Right Pane shows 3 items which to be honest I don't understand.The columns are as follows:-
Name Type Data
(Default) REG-SZ (Value not set)
ncpa.cpl REG-SZ No
odbccp32.cpl REG-SZ No

Your advice would be most welcome!
Benfreeze

BurrWalnut 18:50 23 Nov 2007

Those items are OK, so it must be a different problem. I suspect you've caught a nasty.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?