Control panel - can't access

ANDY-212408 22:47 04 Nov 2006

I seem to have developed an issue whereby i cannot open some items in the control panel. On clicking display and add / remove programs a box appears saying that "another program is using this file". I am also unable to access display through right clicking on the desktop and clicking properties - the same bos appears.

Any ideas folks?

terryf 22:49 04 Nov 2006

Repair os?

dogbreath1 09:31 05 Nov 2006

It's worth trying sfc /scannow following the advice on the linked site. Especially the part about creating the I386 folder in your root (usually 'C') directory.

click here

It can cure a whole heap of problems.

ANDY-212408 11:30 05 Nov 2006

On trying sfc / scannow a box flickers onto screen and then disappears - nothing else happens.

Terryf - what type of repair do you mean?

Any other ideas before having to go through all the hassle of starting again with a fresh installation.

Thanks

Technotiger 11:34 05 Nov 2006

Hi, if XP - perhaps a System Restore might sort it.

ANDY-212408 11:39 05 Nov 2006

Have tried a few system restores and it won't accept the old settings - refuses to make the changes!!

Cheers

Technotiger 11:47 05 Nov 2006

OK - try running RegScrub then -

click here

Cheers

dogbreath1 11:51 05 Nov 2006

You need to follow the tutorial exactly and make sure that sfc /scannow is typed exactly as I have done and not as you did above:-

sfc / scannow

Spaces and/or lack of them are crucial.

terryf 15:20 05 Nov 2006

I mean putting your xp cd in your drive, booting from it and then choose an option to repair, if you google for 'winxp repair', you will find step by step instructions

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?