Control Panel- Add/Remove Programs

Dave21 13:04 22 Sep 2004

I am running Windows XP and wish to uninstall Excite Messenger. However when I click on Control Panel/Add-Remove Programs only a fraction of the number of Programs appear that are installed on my machine. None of which are Excite Messenger.Are there any display options that I'm missing on this list?? Or is there another route to uninstall programs on Windows XP?

BurrWalnut 14:33 22 Sep 2004

Check if the programs have their own uninstall, Start, All Programs and look for the relevant programs in the list.

Stuartli 14:34 22 Sep 2004

It could be that the program has its own uninstaller.

Go to Start>Programs>Excite Messenger and check whether it is listed in its own sub-menu.

You could also check it in My Programs by opening up the folder. You will see something on the lines of Uninstaller.

XP also has the facility not to show programs that are very rarely used.

Dave21 14:46 22 Sep 2004

Stuartli- maybe that is the problem (your last sentence re: Windows has the ability to not show programs that are rarely used).You don't know how to turn this off?

Stuartli 16:02 22 Sep 2004

It's done through the Taskbar and Start menu Properties box (Control Panel>double click Taskbar and Start Menu icon and click Start Menu Tab). If you can't see a Taskbar and Start Menu icon, switch the Control Panel to Classic view using the CP link on the left of the window.

Or you can get there by right clicking an empty Taskbar area and clicking Properties and then the Start Menu tab or by clicking the Start button, right clicking on an empty Start menu area and clicking Properties.

There is an option for the current Start or Classic Start menu (previous version).

The XP Start Programs menu can be set for program shortcut icons - maximum is 30. The Advanced tab includes several features you may wish to look at such as Highlight Newly Installed Programs.

There's a scroll window to select the folders and Windows items that appear on the Start menu and how they are displayed.

The Classic Start menu has the same basic menu options but in a different format. If you want to add items to the Clssic Start menu, click the Add button and a wizard helps you to select items on your system you may wish to add.

You'll find more information in Help and Support, which is a very comprehensive guide to all aspects of XP.

keith-236785 16:40 22 Sep 2004

click here for a trial program to get rid of stubborn entries in the add/remove list, i know its not a stubborn file but it seems like your add/remove may be faulty. this prgram will (or should) sort out your problem for you.

if you think you have a problem with add/remove then you may need to run system file checker

click start/run and in the box, type sfc /scannow (ensure you have your xpcd in the drive before pressing enter.

let it run through the restore process it can take some time so be patient.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?