Control over internet access on home network system

Munchkin 21:11 21 May 2014

My household has the following items, all of which can access the internet by my wireless modem/router: three laptops, three smart phones, and an iPad. I would like, if possible, to restrict internet access to specific times for one or more of these items. Is there any way I can do this?

onthelimit1 22:12 21 May 2014

Most IPs now provide family protection through their routers, but I believe it's all or nothing, and individual computers can not be configured. There is paid for software available. Have a look at K9 as an example

Secret-Squirrel 11:42 22 May 2014

Munchkin, a lot of routers can do what you want although it can be a tad fiddly and complicated to configure. Login to your router and look for a "parental control" or "schedule" section and hopefully it'll have an option to restrict access. If it does then you'll need the device's MAC address to setup any rules on a per-device basis.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:09 22 May 2014

All Bt home hubs will do this, what make and model of router do you have?

Munchkin 21:25 23 May 2014

I have a BT Infinity Home Hub 2.0

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:04 23 May 2014
  onthelimit1 08:47 24 May 2014

Thanks FB - I didn't know that that facility existed. I know of a number of parents who will be keen to learn about it too!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?