Control. Alt and Delete

Les 11:58 21 Sep 2005

For some reason the '3 finger salute' will not remain on screen long enough to do your business to get out of a stuck program. It appears and then disappears immediately. How do you restore normal operations - advice appreciated.

Yoda Knight 12:40 21 Sep 2005

Sounds like some sort of Nasty might be trying to cover its tracks - try an online scan... click here

Les 14:23 21 Sep 2005

I have up to date AVG, Microsoft AntiSpyware, Syybot and Adaware programs. None of these has found a real nasty. Anyone have ideas?

Thalmus 14:28 21 Sep 2005

I think Yoda-kinght is correct and it is a worm

click here

VoG II 14:31 21 Sep 2005

Do msconfig and regedit work? click here

bosmere 14:48 21 Sep 2005

If you're running XP go into Control Panel>Accessibility Options and make sure all boxes under all tabs are unchecked.

Les 15:10 21 Sep 2005

Thanks to all......

VoG™:
Both work Ok. The AVG was updated this morning and that's finds no virus - if that is what's causing this.

Thalmus:
Downloaded that program but haven't a clue how to run it!

bosmere:
Done that - still no joy.

Les 17:22 21 Sep 2005

Suddenly realised that the downloaded program lists the running programs and you can use that to get out of the stuck program. I blame old age for not realising this earlier <g>

In one of the programs VoG™ it was stated that the virus causing Taskman (and the others) not to work would not have been stopped by SP2 - I installed that some time ago. The other two programs are OK anyway - I'm doubtful about a worm - but wouldn't AVG or one of the others got rid of it? None of them reported having found it. No other effects as far as I can see.

Les 17:24 21 Sep 2005

Sorry....... The paragraph should have read as follows.......
In one of the programs VoG™ it was stated that the virus causing Taskman (and the others) not to work would HAVE been stopped by SP2 - I installed that some time ago. The other two programs are OK anyway - I'm doubtful about a worm - but wouldn't AVG or one of the others got rid of it? None of them reported having found it. No other effects as far as I can see.

bristolgirl 18:32 08 Oct 2005

I have the same problem. Am I misreading all the above messages, only I couldn't work out if there is a cure for this or not. Must be my old age!
Many thanks

Les 21:47 08 Oct 2005

Sorry Gel - I took the coward's way out and used the program procexp.shtml.

click here

This acts as a good substitute for Taskman (listing, as it does, all programs running, the one we need is usually near the bottom of the list - at least it is for me! I tried the emergency tool mentioned in one of the links, it didn't work.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

11 best portfolio websites for designers and artists

Office for Mac buying guide: Price, Office 2017 rumours & new features

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?