Contol Panel - Add/Remove programmes

Mike D 15:40 25 Apr 2005

I wanted to delete a programme yesterday but when I started Contol Panel - Add/Remove Programmes, it said it was populating the list and then nothing. I eventually uninstalled the programme using its own uninstaller, but the Control Panel still is of no help even after a couple of restarts and a goodish night's sleep. What can I do to get it working properly again, please?

Mike

Technotiger 15:42 25 Apr 2005

Hi, if you are using XP I would suggest a System Restore.

Cheers.

Curio 15:45 25 Apr 2005

would be to carry out a System File Check - assuming XP - Start, Run, Type sfc /scannow. Have your OS disc in the tray but not running when you start the Run procedure

Curio 15:46 25 Apr 2005

As per Technotiger

Mike D 15:51 25 Apr 2005

Thanks guys, I'll give a go when I'm back from the salt mines.

Mike

Mike D 09:02 26 Apr 2005

Tried the sfc route - no joy. I will give the system Restore a go, but the problem there is that I am not sure when Control Panel stopped working - I noticed the fault at the wekend, but it has been weeks since I uninstalled a programme using the feature.

I will experiemnt with this when I have the time and, in the meantime, I will mark this thread as resolved for the sake of tidiness.

Thanks anyway

Mike

Mike D 08:45 27 Apr 2005

Just to close the circle. I now have the problem solved - I have a disk image and I copied appwiz.cpl from the image back to Windows/system32 and blow me down, it worked! (I did do a rename on the file to be replaced so that I could revert again if necessary, but so far so good)

Thanks again
Mike

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?