Continual "spikes"

IClaudio 22:55 11 Jun 2007

Apologies if this has been covered before, but my attempts at Searching the Forum have proved fruitless...

Just a month or so ago, my online gaming was hassle-free, but then I started to experience what I thought was bad lag. However, looking at Windows Tssk Manager, I see a spike in the CPU Usage every second of between 1 and 7%, accompanied by hard drive activity. This happens whether or not I'm on-line.

I've done all the recommended scanning with NOD and all the usual Spyware detectors, and as far as I can see, my machine is clean.

Can anyone give me a clue as to what to try next? (Computer Trouble seems to have failed me in my time of need, boohoo)

brundle 22:58 11 Jun 2007

I realise gaming doesn't qualify as `idle`, but is `optimize hard disk when idle` ticked under the General heading in TweakUI?

brundle 22:59 11 Jun 2007

If not, more system information available with Process Explorer; click here

woodchip 23:01 11 Jun 2007

Close down Programs that you are not using and running, and defrag your drive

IClaudio 23:10 11 Jun 2007

Thanks for the quick replies, guys!

brundle:
Yes, it was ticked, and now I've un-ticked it. Doesn't make any difference, though, although maybe I have to restart the machine? I have Process Explorer, but couldn't understand all the info, I'll read the Help tomorrow!

woodchip:
Yes, I've shut down un-used progs, and I shall de-frag now while I get my head down ;)

IClaudio 19:11 13 Jun 2007

Having invested in a hundred dollar's-worth of Spy- and Malware Zappers, Registry Cleaners, PC Optimisers and goodness knows what else, I finally decided to update my nVidia drivers... bingo, I'm back in on-line gaming heaven. Don't know why things suddenly turned pear-shaped in the first place... Corrupted drivers?

Along the way, I had lost Window Task Manager (I was right first time, it is Windows Tssk Tssk Manager...) and all my Restore Points (see following Subject). The new drivers restored my Task Manager, which still show regular spikes, though these don't seem to affect the online gaming, so maybe that was a red Herring?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?