ContigFileAllocSize

David-263051 13:34 01 Jan 2003
  David-263051 13:34 01 Jan 2003

Undocumented. Does anyone have any real evidence that an entry in HKLM/System/CurrentControlet/Control/FileSystem actually does anything. The Web is awash with suggesting this entry but I cannot find anyone who has proved it actually works.

Andÿ 13:48 01 Jan 2003

Yes it does!

For example:

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem\NtfsDisable8dot3NameCreation Or HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem\NtfsAllowExtendedCharacterIn8dot3Name Enables or disables the use of 8.3 character-length file names.

And :

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem\NtfsDisableLastAccessUpdate is designed to reduce the logging impact of updating the last access timestamp on folders and directories and can speed up NTFS.

spikeychris 13:54 01 Jan 2003

Agree with your above comments but creating a D word "ContigFileAllocSize" is a different issue.

Chris

David-263051 13:55 01 Jan 2003

Hi Andy
Apologies - I meant Win98SE specifically. There are a few entries in FileSystem, NameCache & PathCache to mention just two, but I'm interested in the undocumented ContigFileAllocSize.

spikeychris 14:04 01 Jan 2003

Give it a whirl if you want guaranteed space far big applications

Andÿ 14:05 01 Jan 2003

:o)

I just ignored (Doh!) the title and answered "Does anyone have any real evidence that an entry in HKLM/System/CurrentControlet/Control/FileSystem actually does anything."

LOL

spikeychris 14:10 01 Jan 2003

I must do that 5 times a day ;o)

David-263051 14:17 01 Jan 2003

Hi spikeychris

I've had Win8SE for 3 years and have recently added a 256 stick to the existing 128 and am systematically going thru' system.ini to see what values I can relax to take advantage.

On the Web 99% of advice suggests a CFAS of 512Kb. This is the default anyway.

What I've done is to defrag my data partition then saved a variety of sizes, shift deleted to see what happened. I then repeated the sequence of events with a variety of CFAS values ranging from no entry to 2Mb spanning the various deletions/savings all of which produced the same result. In other words I cannot prove the system is actually reading the CFAS entry.

There a few system.ini entries which are no longer applicable. I saw one comment the other day re Win98 on an entry that ceased to have any significance since Win3.1.

As mentioned CFAS cannot be found @ MSKB.

spikeychris 14:25 01 Jan 2003

512 is the default size do you have a link to the insignificance since 3.1?

spikeychris 14:31 01 Jan 2003

Never used this but click here and see what you think.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 Hack Latest News: How Secure is your Wi-Fi?

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Comment utiliser Twitter ?