Contacts mayhem in Outlook 2003

xania 20:37 20 Oct 2010

Having stuck with Outlook Express, I'm having difficulty helping my friend resolve a problem with his Outlook 2003 contacts. When he clicks the contacts tab, this shows 2 contacts folders, one with only 1 entry (which we'll call contacts1) and one with all his contacts showing perfectly (which we'll call contacts 2). However, when creating a new email and clicking on the To: icon, his only options available are Outlook Address book (which says No entries in Address Book>), a Personal Address book (which shows blank) and another contacts folder which also shows blank (so is presumably contacts3??). So - how do I get all the items from contacts2 into either Outlook Address book Personal Address book or contacts3, and how do I make this the default address book, or do I get the Mail To: to recognise conmtacts2?.

Bottom line, how do I get the mail to see the contacts?

Its all too confusing!!

dunc1234 20:52 20 Oct 2010

try exporting the contacts and then re-importing them.

or after exporting (double checking they have exported - i'd use csv format) delete the account in outlook.

make the account from fresh and import the addresses.

lastly import the addresses into outlook express and then try importing them into outlook from there

QuizMan 23:19 20 Oct 2010

I think it may be necessary to delete the contact list(s) not required. Firstly though, make sure they are backed up as I have not tried this and cannot guarantee success.

Go to the Tools menu and select E-mail Accounts.
Click "View or change existing directories or address books" and click Next.
Select "Outlook Address Book" and click Change.
At this stage I hope you would see the contacts list(s) shown. Select the Contact list(s) that you want to remove and then click Remove Address Book.
Exit and restart Outlook.

Good luck

xania 13:20 21 Oct 2010

Thank you both for your ideas. I will be going back to this over the weekend and will report back then.

xania 13:28 08 Nov 2010

Afraid neither idea worked - not sure quite what he'd dome with his system but I ended up doing a simple cut and paste job to get the data from contacts2 into contacts3, and he simply has to select the correct contacts list each time. Not ideal but better than nothing.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone