Contact number & address on site?

Marko797 11:43 08 Nov 2007

Not sure what the best practice would be on this.

I've done my site, but am in 2 minds as to whether to have a mobile contact number on my Contact Us page. It makes sense to some degree, as it's important to provide more than one contact route, but I can also see the risks (abuse etc).

Similar potential risks with my address being included, as I intend running it from home.

Is the safest option just to have contact solely by email from the site, or am I worrying unduly?

Grateful for your views.

gibbs1984 12:02 08 Nov 2007

Personally I can't see any problems from having your number on the website that you wouldn't have having it advertised any other way like business cards, if you want people to contact you then you'll have to provide a way of doing this.

Not sure about the address though, do you have to have an address on there?

Personally I'd have the phone number and the e-mail address, making sure that the e-mail address is secured appropriately .

Marko797 12:14 08 Nov 2007

Thnx for ur thoughts.

On business cards I feel I'm able to control the distribution, & therefore the levels of information to some degree, unless of course one gets discarded, and then subsequently picked up by some ruffian of sorts with bad intent - unlikely in my mind.

With the web site however, I lose control, so the risks which I mentioned become greater. It's arguable that only people which I choose to direct to the site information would be the one's which actually access it, however.

No, I don't think I do need to have the address on the site. It would only get used for 'snail-mail' anyhow, I feel. Maybe another option is a PO Box, but this would incur additional costs.

I'm minded to remove the address and just allow contact via email, & possibly the mobile number.

Thnx for being a sounding board.

CodeMeister 12:54 08 Nov 2007

If you own a domain name then your address may already be published for all to see on the internet via the WhoIs database.

Marko797 15:07 08 Nov 2007

Codemeister, I forgot about that...but I'm sure I exercised the option (when asked by my domain provider) to Opt-Out of being included on WhoIs, or am I mistaken that this Opt-Out is possible?

Fourm member, no I don't sell goods so don't think the regulatiosn you refer to apply. Thnx anyhow.

CodeMeister 16:37 08 Nov 2007

Hi Marko797

I believe that in the case of a .co.uk domain, you may opt out of the WhoIs database ONLY if you are a non-trading individual. In all other cases your address is published for the world to see.

You could of course use a domain privacy service such as that provided by Heart Internet (click here for details).

Marko797 17:36 08 Nov 2007

CM, I did a check & yes I have opted-out.

I think the safest policy would be to remove home address from site, and just go with the site email facility, plus the mobile business number.

I might be paranoid but I wouldn't want my home address becoming 'www' knowledge really.

The only people who would have the address would be clients, and whosoever they might fwd the details to.

Thnx to u all for your input/views.

Forum Editor 23:00 08 Nov 2007

but the distance selling regulations apply to the sale of services, too.

If you sell a service via a web site you must provide a contact address (not a phone number, although you can provide that too, if you wish) to each customer, although not necessarily on the site - it can be done when you confirm the sale of the service, which you must do in writing, or during the performance of the contract.

In addition you must by law provide each customer with a written confirmation of cancellation rights information, and any after-sales services and/or guarantees.

Patr100 23:24 08 Nov 2007

Here's a summary of E-commerce regulations but using the words "should" and "must" makes it unclear what is legally required.

"Minimum information to be provided
Service providers, whether involved in e-commerce or not, should provide the following minimum information, which must be easily, directly and permanently accessible:

The name of the service provider must be given somewhere easily accessible on the site. This might differ from the trading name and any such difference should be explained – e.g. "XYZ.com is the trading name of XYZ Enterprises Limited."
The email address of the service provider must be given. It is not sufficient to include a 'contact us' form without also providing an email address.
The geographic address of the service provider must be given. A PO Box is unlikely to suffice as a geographic address; but a registered office address would. If the business is a company, the registered office address must be included in any event. "

click here

Marko797 08:31 09 Nov 2007

Thnx FE & Patr100, good points. I'm not suggesting total anonymity with this, just trying to be cautious as far as the www is concerned & minimise risks.

FE - my address details would be provided to the client on engagement. This would be provided in the form of a) busines card, b) letter-headed confirmation of assignment once agreed (task order), c) company invoices produced thereafter.

The business will also be registered with Companies House as a Private (not Public) Ltd Company.

Therefore Patr100, I'm not sure that your final line - If the business is a company, the registered office address must be included in any event - is actually true. If it was a *Public* Ltd Co (Plc) then I think this *is* the case, but might not apply to a Private Ltd Co. Thnx for the link, food for thought.

But, I have a meeting nxt wk with accountant & business link advisor, so will check on the points which you all raise.

Thnx 2u all.

Forum Editor 19:28 09 Nov 2007

your registered office address - just an address at which you, the service provider can be contacted, your place of business if you like. The two are often the same in any event.

It will be perfectly OK to provide the information in a letter during the performance of the contract.

The point about that part of regulations is that they provide consumers with sufficient information to enable them to contact the provider of the goods or services if things aren't right. I don't need to know what Amazon's registered office address is, I just want to know where to send a letter of complaint if things go badly wrong.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?