constantly repeating outlook express

User-171FC185-ABBA-4B55-BB893621075DB90C 16:36 10 Aug 2005

Hi,

I've got an email problem - I constantly receive the same messages over and over again. It's not just from one source - it's any email that is sent to me.

Any ideas?

ME - Outlook Express 6.0 - NTL Broadband - ZoneAlarm and AVG

anchor 16:46 10 Aug 2005

I think that you have a tick against "leave a copy of message on server".

Open OE, click tools, and select accounts. Then select "mail", then select the account of your e-mail, (eg: Tiscali). Click on Properties, and then on advanced. At the bottom you should see "delivery", and you will probably find that you have a tick against leave a copy of message on server. Untick this. The click apply.

cheers mate - but it doesn't work, the box is unchecked and I'm still getting the same stuff over and over again!

DieSse 17:08 10 Aug 2005

Can you look at your mailbox via webmail - then you can remove the offending mail from the server - you should also tell your server owner what's going on.

Does the mail download complete - if it doesn't then that is wht they ofetn keep repeting, as the clean-up at the server often doesn't run until all emails are siccessfully downloaded.

Funkey 17:19 10 Aug 2005

Is it definately the same message from the same sender to your same email address? Cos a lot of emails might look exactly the same but on closer inspection the same sender might be sending them to your multiple email address (thats an example). I realise that this sounds weird and you have indicated that you have an NTL connection but I'm just saying this in case you have also setup other email provider accounts in Outlook Express

Its possible that your email provider might be having a few tech problems (one common problem is that the email isnt deleted off the providers server after you have downloaded them through Outlook Express), which you can help to sort out yourself easily enough. Check if you can access your emails from the hoster's own website and login into it on the web (e.g. you can log onto NTL, BTyahoo, pipex, supanet or hotmail's websites and view emails online). If a copy is indeed on your hosters server, then the copy should be still sat in your inbox online where you can then delete it.

To confirm that all is ok after this just try Sending and Receiving again in Outlook Express after deleting it through their website.

thanks guys - so far so good!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?