Constant Windows Updates

Munchkin 10:40 05 Apr 2010

My laptop is forever installing Windows updates to the extent that the windows operating system is now hogging 67% of my 70GB hard drive. Will this continue to the point were my hard drive will no longer have the capacity?????

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:21 05 Apr 2010

You an delete unistall points from updatess to regain space.

in the windows folder look for files in BLUE staring with $ - these cn be deleted.
Do NOT delete any other files.

audeal 13:26 05 Apr 2010

Fruit Bat /\0/\: I just looked in my Windows folder and could not find any Blue files or files with the $ sign in there, and I download all the Updates. So maybe Munchkin won't find any either.

Assuming you are talking about win7.

james105051 13:40 05 Apr 2010

You have to make sure you have checked the "show hidden files and folders" option in My Computer\C:\Tools\Folder Optionsa\View. They will then be visible.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:43 05 Apr 2010

No XP, with a 70Gb drive don't think its a modern laptop,

You can uninstall updates in W7 from the Update history in control panel click here . not sure exactly where W& stores the files.

You may need to be logged in as an administrator and have windows set to view all (unhide) system files before they become visible.

Munchkin 09:52 06 Apr 2010

If the updates can be deleted then what purpose do they serve in the first place? Is my laptop any worse off by not installing the updates in the first place?

Belatucadrus 12:30 06 Apr 2010

You're not deleting the updates, when windows installs an update it makes a back up copy of the previous settings so that you can back track should it prove unstable, they go under the name of Hotfix uninstallers. If you're satisfied that the updates are working OK it's easy enough to delete these back up files.
One of the simplest ways of doing this is to run CCleaner with "Hotfix uninstallers" option ticked in the advanced settings.
click here

EARLR 16:38 06 Apr 2010

I have a similar problem I have tried ccleaner but cannot find "Hot-fix uninstallers" option.

FRANKMAC 16:49 06 Apr 2010

Open CCleaner, Cleaner tab then under advanced list, very close to the bottom of the list. Could also be done from add/remove programs in windows.

northumbria61 16:50 06 Apr 2010

No, there usually is no reason to uninstall, or delete, any of the hotfixes. Some people do have to if there are software compatibility problems. If these updates do cause a problem, you would more than likely know quite soon afterward.

When Microsoft learns about and issues a new Hotfix, to fix the bad update, it may be that the old one has to be "found", but I am not sure.

Most of them also can be uninstalled through Add/Remove Programs.

click here

northumbria61 16:54 06 Apr 2010

Forgot to say I also don't have a "Hot-fix uninstallers" option listed under the Advanced Tab - it just isn't in the list - BUT I don't need it - at the moment anyway.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?