Constant repeated alert from Norton Secutiry 2005

valbv 13:11 01 Aug 2006

Norton is displaying alerts about every two minutes for a program namely C:\Program Files\Cyberlink\Shared Files\CLML_NTService\ Despite using every option that Norton offers, ie. block, always block, always allow, manual entry into program control, the same alerts keep coming. One is 'trying to access the internet' the other is 'trying to listen for other computers'. I believe the above file is related to Power Cinema program. I'm running a Medion desktop, 1024mB memory, XP home and Norton Internet Security 2005. This problem arose after I installed a Linksys Router. It does not arise when running Windows Firewall with Norton disabled until restart. I would like to disable Norton on a more permanent basis without uninstalling if this 'in your face' problem continues.
Bernard

johnnyrocker 13:36 01 Aug 2006

click here avg free widely used by forum members.

johnny.

valbv 15:06 01 Aug 2006

Mnay thanks Johnny. I have considered this possibility. Do I need to delete Norton completely or can I suspend it for a time, just in case?

Jimmy14 15:16 01 Aug 2006

click here.

Wouldn't recommend on uninstalling Norton and going for a Free one.

Salut 15:23 01 Aug 2006

I recently dumped Norton after getting fed up with its quirky ways. Now use AVG, its free too.
If you go down that route you will need to uninstal Norton. On the Symantec website they have an uninstal link, use that in preference to Add/Delete on windows.

Salut 15:23 01 Aug 2006

I recently dumped Norton after getting fed up with its quirky ways. Now use AVG, its free too.
If you go down that route you will need to uninstal Norton. On the Symantec website they have an uninstal link, use that in preference to Add/Delete on windows.

valbv 08:00 04 Aug 2006

Many thanks for everyones help.

squillary 12:03 04 Aug 2006

It's very unlike people here to give such non-answers to a question. Especially as people are offering an alternative virus program to what's obviously a Firewall question.

bvalen: you've been very poorly advised here, except by, except by Jimmy14. Don't believe all you read. What was the result of using his link?

For what it's worth, I had an issue recently with dialogs every few minutes. It turned out there seemed to be a maximum number of permanent exclusions in my 2004 program. When I updated to the 2006 program it magically disappeared entirely. Note entrely satisfactory, but I guess that's what happens when an old program is used.

Jimmy14 00:49 05 Aug 2006

thanks for sharing my view. I must say that every time a user starts a thread on a issue with Norton, certain people are quick enough to suggest scrapping it and going for a freeby. If people can't help to solve or solve someones problem then there isn't much point in asking them to never mind and scrap it to go for alot of (contain myself) anti-viruses. If someone buys Norton and has a problem the last thing they want to do is scrap it and go for a free one. I hope certain people read this and take note for future threads.

James

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017