Constant PC Crashing (not a blue screen)

FedUpOfMyPCCrashing 00:31 11 Jun 2017

For a while I had an issue with my PC when I'd play a graphically intense game for too long (Deus Ex: Mankind Divided/Ghost in the Shell First Assault) all output would stop and it would become unresponsive, I assume some form of hardware crash (wouldn't give me a blue screen, the screens would just go a solid colour and all audio would stop). At this time all fans would still be running aside from the Graphics Card ones, so a month or so ago I took it out to clean it up, which fixed it mostly.

A week or so ago, these crashes started up again in full, but would occur at any time. Near to this time I started using Google Chrome again (for some reason my PC didn't like it for years before now, it just wouldn't work properly), but this time the Graphics Card fans would still be running. Also, in the last couple days I updated my graphics driver to make sure it's not an issue, but hasn't helped.

I've heard it is likely a hardware problem, but I have no idea of what component and if it can be fixed without spending money on a replacement. It's a bizarre problem, but it's super annoying and a massive pain so if anyone knows a solution I'd be forever in their debt!

Specs: CPU: Intel i5-3570K Motherboard: GigaByte Z77-D3H Hard Drive: Toshiba MQ01ABF050H (a hybrid drive) Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series RAM: 8GB OS: Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (I also use 2 monitors)

Software in frequent use (in case it's relevant): Wallpaper Engine SpeedFan Rainmeter Steam Firefox

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:32 11 Jun 2017

I had a bad graphics card that did the same thing.

FedUpOfMyPCCrashing 11:36 11 Jun 2017

Is there a way to find out whether it's definitely the graphics card? I agree that it probably is that, but I just want to be sure. And if so is there some sort of fix that isn't replacing it that you know of? It's also frustrating because I don't know what caused it to start behaving like this, I've looked through event viewer and reliability monitor and can't find a direct cause.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:05 11 Jun 2017

Remove card and use onboard graphics you'll have to use lower frame rates for your games but if it doesn't lock up then its most likely its the card.

FedUpOfMyPCCrashing 13:23 11 Jun 2017

Okay, I'll try that, thank you. I take it if that is indeed the cause then there's no real fix other than replacing it?

wee eddie 15:03 11 Jun 2017

Cleaning: some people, when they clean the visible dust out, fail to clean between the Fins of the cooling radiators, which restricts its ability to transfer heat away from the GPU and CPU

FedUpOfMyPCCrashing 16:55 11 Jun 2017

I've done as much cleaning as I could, and when I cleaned out my graphics card there was almost no dust. But even if it was dust, would that not cause it to overheat instead of randomly crash at seemingly any time (at any temperature)? Using SpeedFan to monitor my PC temperatures it never got to a dangerously high temperature.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

Black Friday Deals for Designers & Artists: Adobe, Apple, Corel Painter, Microsoft Surface, Wacom &e…

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires