Constant Hard Disk Access

pc moron 15:05 22 Aug 2004

I've noticed that the hard disk is being accessed every few seconds continuously, even if no apps are running.

If I go to Task Manager> Processes> View> Select Columns and turn on I/O Read Bytes and I/O Write Bytes, the culprit seems to be csrss.exe- a Windows system file.

It's reading from the HD every few seconds, but the data transferred is only a few tens of bytes each time- it never writes to the HD.

No scheduled tasks are set, the indexing service is disabled and scans with Ad-aware, Spybot and Norton AV reveal nothing.

I've tried a Google, but found nothing positive.

System:

Win XP Pro SP2
80GB HD (plenty of space left)
512 MB RAM

stalion 15:08 22 Aug 2004

have a read click here

stalion 15:13 22 Aug 2004

have you got service pack sp1 installed if so this is not supposed to happen

pc moron 15:23 22 Aug 2004

I only noticed the disk access yesterday, but thinking about it, this only atarted happening after I installed Service Pack 2!

This never happened with SP1.

stalion 15:26 22 Aug 2004

that is what it says in the link it can not happen if you have sp1.So I do not know your best course of action other than un-installing sp2 as there is no way to rectify this without a patch from microsoft as explained on the link

stalion 15:28 22 Aug 2004

make sure you bump this post to keep at the top this is a bad glich regarding sp2

VoG II 15:34 22 Aug 2004

I have SP2. csrss.exe is Read accessing but not much (not enough to be called "constant hard drive activity").

stalion 15:36 22 Aug 2004

have you read the link microsoft did not rectify this ever. regards

pc moron 15:50 22 Aug 2004

Yep VoG™, it isn't constant in that the HD light is on all the time- it flashes on and off every second or so- is this what you get?

VoG II 15:57 22 Aug 2004

Mine is flashing about once a second. But when I looked in Task Manager, csrss.exe was only reading the disk maybe every 20-30 seconds, if that. I haven't tried with all programs closed down.

stalion - yes I did read the link, thanks. Not the first time that MS have not rectified a bug :o(

stalion 16:03 22 Aug 2004

seeing as the F.E.has been linked with this for months perhaps he can assist with reporting this to microsoft as it may be that a lot of members that now have sp2 may have this problem,we need more feedback.Regards

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

Black Friday Deals for Designers & Artists: Adobe, Apple, Corel Painter, Microsoft Surface, Wacom &e…

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires