Constant beeping from case speaker - aahh!

oxfo 20:01 01 Jul 2006

Anyone know why my case speaker is beeping (every 0.5 seconds)?It started about 3 weeks ago and just did it occasionally but now its getting annoying.Its ok at boot up and if I am just doing some typing but if I play a game its allways there,use Adobe Photoshop - it starts after about 15 minutes,Download or play music - after about 10 minutes (my son reckons it slows down the speed music is played back at but his music allways sounds odd to me anyway).At first we thought it was the hard drive or the dvd player but today we traced it to the little case speaker which I could just de-solder but that would stop me knowing if any beep codes were going off etc. Anyone help?

andrew-196854 20:07 01 Jul 2006

a certain amount of beeps means you have got a error some where , it is to do with your bios , you may have to find out what bios you are on this link may help altough i may me wrong wait for other posts click here

oxfo 20:17 01 Jul 2006

No, it never does it at Boot Up, only after Windows starts

?.nl 20:24 01 Jul 2006

Could be over heating?

Give the inside a good clean and see if makes any difference?

oxfo 22:38 01 Jul 2006

Yeah may try that tomorrow but as Ive got one 120mm fan on the side,one at the rear and a 80mm at the front I doubt it but maybe the CPU heatsink fins are clogged up - it wont do any harm to have a late spring clean,thanks.

woodchip 22:47 01 Jul 2006

As above CPU overheat. you are getting a bios warning

oxfo 20:25 02 Jul 2006

Stripped out Heatsink/CPU and gave them a good clean,applied new thermal paste,refitted etc no beeping yet and highest temp cpu reached has been 53 degrees C (its warm inside and outside today, 32degsC)PS talking of thermal paste does anyone know what the shelf life of this stuff is?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:47 02 Jul 2006

Have some coolermaster Artic Silver doesn't appear to have a best before date on it :0)

Catastrophe 02:06 03 Jul 2006

I had this and it was cured by reseating memory. You can get similar by having something sitting on your keyboard.

Catastrophe 02:07 03 Jul 2006

"No, it never does it at Boot Up, only after Windows starts"

Exactly what I found.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?