Consistency check on startup

kerses 16:59 28 Oct 2006

Hi. Recently during startup tells me needs to do consistency ck on my backup disk. Bypassed that each time but tired of that! Now after that wants to do same for main disk. Am XP SP2. Getting desperate; at 85 mind isnt too agile. Any ideas please?
kerses

Internetwhizzkid 18:15 28 Oct 2006

hi,
windows only does this check so it can see if there are any damaged areas on the disk that could affect the use of the pc. If there any windows will repair them.
I would say just let it run. just switch on your pc go and make a cup of tea and by the time you get back it should be completed.

This way you can be sure that you will not get crashes and that you can get the most out of the computer. the longer you skip it the longer it will stay there and it will not go until you have completed it

Trust me it is worth the while

Good Luck

Regards
Ben Greenslade

kerses 14:54 29 Oct 2006

Internetwhizzkid. Many thanks for your suggestion. Unfortunately I don't think this is going to do the trick. When it first happened I let it run right through, but still same next time. also ran CHKDSK manually on the disk and told to fix faults - no better. Have found some other ideas on a CN forum, but not risked trying till I've had son-in-law check for me.
But much appreciated.
kerses

Eric10 17:52 29 Oct 2006

This is caused because the dirty bit is set on the affected drive. This can be the result of a hard restart, power failure or any other form of corruption while data is being written to the drive.

First click Start > Run > and type CMD to bring up a command prompt. Now type " fsutil dirty query d: " without the quotes and assuming d: to be the drive that is giving the problem. This queries the drive, and more than likely it will tell you that it is dirty. Next, type "CHKNTFS /X D:". The X tells Windows to NOT check that particular drive on the next reboot. At this time, manually reboot your computer, it should not do a Chkdsk on that drive and take you directly to Windows.

Once Windows has fully loaded, bring up another CMD prompt and type "Chkdsk /f /r d:". This should take you through 5 stages of the scan and will unset that dirty bit. Finally, type "fsutil dirty query d:" and Windows will confirm that the dirty bit is not set on that drive.

kerses 15:20 31 Oct 2006

Many thanks Eric 10; clearly explained and does the trick so far. Disk D ok now and working on C this afternoon with confidence. Also passing info on to son-in-law. Much appreciated all responses.
kerses

kerses 16:14 10 Nov 2006

Back to the same I'm afraid. Eric 10's solution works fine up to a point, but if I use it to "clear" C drive, then do the same for D, the trouble with dirty bit then comes back to C and so on. Any way of getting past that?
kerses

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?