connot boot usb hardrive

Ambasedor 17:09 31 Dec 2008

I have a hord drive connected via a USB port. It noew will not boot. It is running properly but i get a mssage saying the drive is not accessable and the drive is corrupt or unreadable. It was working the last time I used it. AVG says the boot section is mssing. I have tried it on two different computers with the same result.

Technotiger 17:36 31 Dec 2008

Unless you are dual-booting with a different OS, one does not normally Boot from a USB Drive?

Or is your phraseology not quite correct?

recap 17:42 31 Dec 2008

I have just had a problem with a USB drive and resolved it by converting it to NTFS from FAT32. It is an option you could try as long as the systems you will be using it on are all NTFS.

To convert from FAT32 to NTFS click here

tullie 18:00 31 Dec 2008

As TT says,you dont boot from it,just plug in and if necessary,switch on.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:06 31 Dec 2008

Unplug the drive from the USB port
switch your computer on and wait untill it boots fully
then plug in the external drive.

Can you now see it in My computer or in disk management?

Ambasedor 09:57 02 Jan 2009

Hi Guys I have been using it for about 2 years so have used and tried all the methods except converting it. The terminology boot was probably wrong but that was what AVG said when it couldnt read the drive. I have swithhed it on before after plugged it in before and after and any combinatrionyou can think of but I still get the message that the drive is unreadable or corrupt. I cant do anything with it when i go into properties and it wont disk check either. I can see the drive in the list when i go into My Computer so it does at least recognise that its there.

Technotiger 10:16 02 Jan 2009

I would advise you to follow recap's suggestion to Convert the Format to NTFS - conversion does not cause any loss of your data.

Ambasedor 11:48 02 Jan 2009

thank you Thechnotiger. i have looked on the properties for this drive and it saws its file system is RAW so how do i convert it to NTFS please.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:15 02 Jan 2009
  Ambasedor 14:13 05 Jan 2009

i have tried to change the system to an ntfs but the cmd says it already is an ntfs. then i tried the recovery prog that fruit bat suggested but i needed 230gb on another disc to transfer it on so i got a bigger disc as the rest of the pc doesnt have the capacity whae i tried to change the new disc to an ntfs it is asking me for the volume lable. where do i find this please

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Nokia 8 vs Galaxy S8

Best new design books 2017: From vintage infographics to the the psychology of type

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie