connection topology to broadband

User-CB94CED6-F3AA-42E7-8A286564F5DCBC14 08:21 10 Oct 2008

I am unsure what way to connect 15 PCs on our network to the broadband. We have a server (Linux) and 15 XP/Vista PCs. Should these go via the eth. switch to the server (and the server connected direct to the ADSL router) so only the server needs internet protection or all individually to the ADSL router via the eth. switch?

I am wondering if I can avoid buying a multi internet protection license for each PC.

Anyone help?

mgmcc 08:43 10 Oct 2008

Normally all computers in the network would connect directly to the router (via any necessary additional network switches). Whatever the topology, each computer still needs its own security software - AntiVirus, Anti-spyware & Firewall.

If you were to network the other PCs via the server, it (the server) would actually need to function as a "router" (as in Internet Connection Sharing).

Why can't the PCs defer tothe server for protection? Portection software costs per unit and slows everything down.

mgmcc 13:12 10 Oct 2008

If the individual PCs have access to the internet, *BY WHATEVER MEANS*, then they exposed to internet "nasties" and need their own security software.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Ryzen news - release date, UK price, features and specifications

The pulp art of 80s computer game magazine covers

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment faire des captures d’écran sous Windows 10 ?