Connection time outs after just a minute or so

Avodat 09:11 02 Jan 2015

I usually have 5 tabs running on Firefox on my last laptop but just lately on my new laptop only two will load - the others timeout. At times almost everything times out after just 30 seconds. I am running win 8.1 with the latest firefox on a new Acer E5-571-34YZ. I can rarely get on the net to track answers to problems because of the time-out issues, so as I have managed to get onto the forum I'll ask for urgent help and hope I can get back to read the answers. Thanks for your help guys!

Avodat 09:33 02 Jan 2015

Forgot to say - it happens with wireless or ethernet connection

Forum Editor 16:10 02 Jan 2015

Moved to Tech Helproom from Tech Consumer Advice.

rdave13 16:31 02 Jan 2015

Had a similar problem on a new Toshiba laptop. My error reports was it could not connect to the 'net. The first tab usually did but the second tab wouldn't. This was on Internet Explorer. Flicking on Flight mode then off again and the tab would get connected. Long story short, the fault was created when I uninstalled a trial version of McAfee. Running their uninstaller tool afterwards and rebooting the router fixed it.

Might help to give you some ideas.

Avodat 20:26 05 Jan 2015

Speed is fine - 14 Mbps No dropouts. RouterStats shows internet connection working fine. Router re-boot was carried out. Seems to be more a laptop problem, on the face of it.

How can I change the connection drop-out speed, that might do the trick!

Avodat 15:55 06 Jan 2015

Found an answer - I don't use the integral wifi as it's really useless (it seems only to do 801.11g in its settings although it was sold as being 801.11n and that is not the only problem with my new laptop!)). I use a Belkin Surf 300n wifi adaptor which I had put in the usb2 slot. Giving it some thought, I bought a usb3 hub (£10 on Amazon), plugged it into the usb3 slot, plugged in the usb wifi adaptor, moved it around a little and the problem is solved!

Faster internet response and very, very few drop outs - the pages that used to drop out take a few seconds longer to load but they load perfectly now!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?