connection to smart tv via mobile wifi

probkeith 10:47 28 Jul 2013
Answered

hi all - I have a caravan out in the sticks with no access to wired intertnet. I am able to use my tablet via mobile wifi but I would like to connect tv to internet but it has wired connection only. I cannot get my head around the equipment I need. Any help would be appreciated.

alanrwood 13:18 28 Jul 2013

You simply need a 3G router which is a normal router that allows you to insert a 3G Mobile Dongle to connect to the internet.

If you are wanting to do this so you can download movies etc then forget it. The data usage is far too high to use 3G mobile connections and often the speed is not high enough for streaming in some areas especially if only 2G is available. The best way to ensure a 3G connection if it is available is to go with "3" as their network is 3G only but check coverage on their map first.

alanrwood 13:21 28 Jul 2013

PS I use a Zoom 4501 3G router which is excellent and runs a 4 machine wired network as well as wireless connection. I think it cost me about £38.

click here

alanrwood 13:27 28 Jul 2013

PS I use a Zoom 4501 3G router which is excellent and runs a 4 machine wired network as well as wireless connection. I think it cost me about £38.

click here

alanrwood 13:28 28 Jul 2013
Answer

Sorry double post. Broke off to help "she who must be obeyed" and wasn't sure whether I had already posted it or not.

probkeith 13:44 28 Jul 2013

Thanks for that. I access internet via 3 mobile using an unlocked Huawei 586E mobile WiFi device and average connection speeds are in excess of 3 Meg. I intend eventually boosting this signal. Is it possible to purchase a router that will link with the Huawei wirelessly rather than keep removing sim to put in router?

alanrwood 14:34 28 Jul 2013

You don't keep removing the sim to put it in the router. The USB Dongle connects to the USB socket on the router and stays there. You can then connect any device by either ethernet (4 x RJ45 sockets) or wireless using WPA security as you would to any other router.

probkeith 15:52 28 Jul 2013

Thank you for your help with this - I will have a look round for a router that will allow me to connect to it via usb.

alanrwood 19:09 28 Jul 2013

There are quite a few around. The Zoom I have is great as you don't need to input any network information, it finds it automatically. I frequently switch between networks without any problem. Just make sure whatever you do that the router is compatible with the dongle. Some are not compatible with some of the latest Huawewi ones.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?