connection refused

andyloran 07:35 23 Sep 2005

Am using XP PRO and AOL DSL. I can use the net quite well on AOL, but when I try to use Firefox it refuses me. also unable to update certain sites. (AVG for instance - have to do it via AOL and then save the updates in files) I am also unable to use any sites that I have updated since I installed Firefox. have since deleted firefox but still these sites will not connect. Please, any one help.

rawprawn 07:58 23 Sep 2005

As far as I know you can only use the AOL browser if you connect using AOL> When you say you deleted Firefox, I assume you meant "uninstalled" Otherwise there will be a lot left hanging around.
Try running Regseeker to clear unwanted registry entries. click here

andyloran 08:05 23 Sep 2005

Not so. It all used to work but doesn't any longer. Whenever anything updates, then it will not work. I just tried to check for updates for Nero and it came back that I had to be connected to the internet, but I am, I am.

jack 10:17 23 Sep 2005

I agree with RawPrawn
~
AOL uses its own discreet software browser.
Others may work through it , but if you are an AOL'er than stick with it or dump AOL alltogether

SANTOS7 10:22 23 Sep 2005

You have to launch your AOL browser, minimise it then launch Firefox it will work that way...

Wuggy 10:33 23 Sep 2005

When you say programs stop working after updates - could it be that you then need to update your firewall settings. As the program has chamged it will, as far as your firewall is concerned, be a new program and may not have been configured for access.
Just a thought.

andyloran 15:04 23 Sep 2005

Even when I go to McFEE firewall and click on summary it says 'page cannot be displayed' and when I try to get thro to help on mcfee, it says 'could not open browser'. This seems to be the same thing on them all. I have tried to disable the firewall but it still will not work.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires