CONNECTION PROBLEMS WITH NETGEAR DG834PN ROUTER

hsdh 11:18 03 May 2010

i cannot connect to the internet with my new Netgear DG834PN router, all the cables are connected ok and all the lights are flashing ok on the router,but when i run the Netgear setup wizard (or cd)it comes up internet explorer cannot display this webpage,
ive clicked DIAGNOSE CONNECTION PROBLEMS,
NETWORK DIAGNOSTICS FOR WINDOWS XP then a box comes up there might be a problem with modem/router, turn of modem /router check all cables and connections turn on router wait 3 mins then click next, ive done all this and the same happens, it keeps clicking as though its going to load the page but dosnt, in the bottom right corner in task bar it says
LOCAL AREA CONNECTION 2 IS NOW CONNECTED ,
SPEED 100.0 MBPS.
ive been trying for 3 days can anybody PLEASE help me get connected and tell me what im doing wrong
cheers HSDH

hsdh 11:31 03 May 2010

sorry i forgot to say that i follow the instructions in the setup wizard and put in all the information they want but still no joy
cheers hsdh

mgmcc 20:46 03 May 2010

Firstly, check if the computer is getting its correct IP address from the router. Open a Command Prompt window ("Start > Run", type CMD and click OK) then, at the prompt, type...

IPCONFIG /ALL

...and press Enter. This will show details of all network adapters installed in the PC. The Local Area Connection should have an IP address starting with 192.168.0 (with the final number being between 2 and 254).

ajm 23:53 03 May 2010

First thing first. Who si your broadband providor. The choice of router is specific to the broadband providor.

Secondly, is this your first time that you are trying to set up the connection for your broadband?

let us know the answers and hopefully we shall assist you.

by the way, how are you accessing the net when you posted this question on here?

hsdh 08:13 04 May 2010

hi mgmcc
ive already done what you said to find out all the details, cheers

hi ajm
i forgot to say im in Spain and my broadband provider is Telefonica, to use the internet i just keep plugging my old router back in, but its not a very good one because the coverage isnt very good for my laptop through out the house thats why i want to use the netgear 1 i borrowed the same netgear router from a friend of mine about 7mths ago and it worked fine but i cant get hold of him to help me out so im hoping you guys can help me
cheers and sorry to be a pain but im prety desperate to get it sorted
cheers

hsdh 08:26 04 May 2010

Hi again ive just gone to 3 different sites
whatsmyip.org whatsmyip.com and machineip.com and they all say that my ip address is 88.16.72.167 and when i do ipconfig/all it says my ip address is 192.168.1.33 why are they different?

mgmcc 11:05 04 May 2010

When you use a router, it [the router] gets your *PUBLIC* IP address as allocated by the ISP, in your case this was 88.16.72.167. The router then allocates IP addresses in one of the ranges reserved for Local Area Networks, most commonly 192.168.x.x addresses, to all computers connected to it and "routes" the internet traffic to the appropriate computer in the network. This is how you are able to connect more than one computer to the internet when the ISP only allocates a single IP address. Every computer in a network (and the internet is a network) must have a unique IP address.

Presumably, you weren't using the Netgear router, because to access those sites you had to be connected to the internet? Also, Netgear DG834 series routers normally use 192.168.0.x addresses.

What address do you get in IPCONFIG /ALL with the PC connected to the Netgear router, whether or not you're "online" with it.

ajm 12:58 04 May 2010

Perhaps it would be good to reset the netgear router and start again.
Ensure that you have connected the Netgear router to your pc with a ethernet cable and all the appropriate telephone cable is connected to the telephnica broadband line
The reset button is on the rear panel: The default username is admin and the password is password
Press the reset button on the back until the test light blinks. This takes about 10 seconds. (To avoid accidental resets, the small button is recessed. Use a pen or paperclip to access it.)
Release the button.
Wait for the router to reboot.
open a browser and type in 192.168.0.1 and enter the username and password as above.
Ensure that you enter your username and password for telephonica broadband correctly and ensure that the following settings are applied:
Protocol: PPPoE
VPI/VCI: 8/32
Encapsulation Mode: LLC/SNAP
Username: [email protected]
Password : adslppp
DNS [80.58.0.33] and [80.58.32.97].

Ensure you save and apply any settings

If the router configuration was not cleared, try these additional steps AFTER the router has finished rebooting.

Unplug the router's power.
Press and hold the reset button. While the button is held down, reconnect router's power.
Continue to hold the reset button for 20 seconds after reconnecting the power.
Wait for the router to reboot.

If all fails, perhaps the router is faulty or you may need to call Telephonica to assist with the setup

hsdh 16:01 04 May 2010

hi still no joy after trying what you said, the ip address with my netgear router is

ajm 18:17 04 May 2010

Is it possible that your network IP settings are manually entered instead of getting it through DHCP. What version of Windows are you running.

Also when you connect the Netgear router to the broadband line, what lights come on in front of the router and whether these lights are solid or flashing?

hsdh 07:11 05 May 2010

Hi im running windows xp
the power, internet, & lan 4 lights are on constant plus the blue dome on top is flashing

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017