Connection Problems With Netgear Card

axelbrora 23:34 17 Oct 2006

I am having some problems setting up a BT internet connection for my son. He is using XP service pack 2 and has a brand new BT Voyager 220 router.

The network card FA311 was causing some problems and the set up CD could not make the connection from the router to the network card although the card was showing as working properly in Device Manager. The trouble shooter said there was a problem with allocating an IP address. I tried selecting “repair” which did not work.

I tried updating the network card driver with the XP update wizard. While searching for the updated drivers, obviously on the hard disk, the Avast update announced that the virus database had just been updated, so I had obviously had just made the connection and gone online, although XP still appeared to be searching for a driver. Everything worked great online for the rest of the night but tonight after booting up cannot find the connection again.

My son phoned BT and spoke to a gentleman in India who took him through some checks and told him he had the wrong IP adress, it started 169 and should start 192. He could not help any further and could not understand how he had been on line last night with the wrong IP address.

Can anyone help fix this? I have checked some of the settings on the LAN connection properties and the settings are "obtain IP address automatically" and "obtain DNS address automatically"

Can I uninstall and reinstall the card with the correct settings or is there another way to fix this?

Help please!

Axel

mgmcc 09:17 18 Oct 2006

If the Wireless Network Adapter is unable to access the router and get its IP address, Windows will default to allocating an APIPA address (Automatic Private IP Addressing) in the 169.254.x.x range. This will give the Limited or No Connectivity indication and won't let you get online.

Try going through the procedure to "Connect" again to the Wireless Network, i.e. run the wireless adapter's software, scan for "Available Wireless Networks", find and highlight the one that matches your router's SSID (network name) and select the option to "Connect" to it. You should be prompted to enter any WEP or WPA encryption key and, once "Connected", the wireless adapter should get its IP address by DHCP from the router and you should have network and internet access.

There is a difference between the Wireless Network Adapter and Router communicating with a good signal and "Connecting" (as in "logging in") to your Wireless network.

axelbrora 10:25 18 Oct 2006

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, however this is not a wireless connection. It is a simple ethernet connection from the router to the network card.

Can you assist further?

Axel

mgmcc 12:38 18 Oct 2006

Strange for a "wired" ethernet adapter to have problems getting its IP address from the router. Open a Command Prompt window and run these two commands to repair the TCP/IP stack and Winsock:

To repair the TCP/IP stack, at the prompt, type...

netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt

...and press Enter

(note the spaces in the command line). The original prompt will reappear.

To reset Winsock entries, at the prompt, type...

netsh winsock reset catalog

...and press Enter

Exit the Command Prompt window and reboot the PC.

axelbrora 20:48 18 Oct 2006

Tried that tonight. All went well and the exclamation mark disappeared from the internet link icons as soon as I reset the TCP/IP stack. I did the winsock as well but the warning returned to the icons after I rebooted and I could not connect. I tried a few times with the same results.

I then run the Microsoft Diagnostic Utility and got the utility and got the following results.
---------------------------------------------
Last diagnostic run time: 10/18/06 17:11:15
----------------
WinSock Diagnostic
WinSock status

info Error attmpting to validate the Winsock base providers: 2

error Not all base service provider entries could be found in the winsock catalog. A reset is needed.

info Redirecting user to support call
-------------------------
Network Adapter Diagnostic
Network location detection

info Using home Internet connection

Network adapter identification

info Network connection: Name=Local Area Connection, Device=NETGEAR FA311 Fast Ethernet Adapter, MediaType=LAN, SubMediaType=LAN
info Ethernet connection selected
Network adapter status

info Network connection status: Connected
-----------------------
HTTP, HTTPS, FTP Diagnostic
HTTP, HTTPS, FTP connectivity

warn HTTP: Error 12007 connecting to click here: The server name or address could not be resolved

warn HTTPS: Error 12007 connecting to click here: The server name or address could not be resolved

warn FTP (Passive): Error 12007 connecting to click here: The server name or address could not be resolved

warn HTTP: Error 12007 connecting to click here: The server name or address could not be resolved

warn HTTPS: Error 12007 connecting to click here: The server name or address could not be resolved

warn FTP (Active): Error 12007 connecting to click here: The server name or address could not be resolved

error Could not make an HTTP connection.

error Could not make an HTTPS connection.

error Could not make an FTP connection.

------------------------------------------------
The network adapter diagnostics were in green and the rest were red.

Any help would be appreciated.

Axel

mgmcc 08:39 19 Oct 2006

The only other thing I can suggest is reinstalling the TCP/IP protocol:

To reinstall TCP/IP in Windows XP, right click the network connection and select Properties. Click the "Install" button, select Protocol and click the "Add" button. In the next box, click the "Have Disk" button and, in the line "Copy manufacturer's files from:", type C:\Windows\inf and click OK. In the next box, click Microsoft in the left pane, then Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) in the right pane and click "OK". Close all open windows and reboot the PC.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Comment afficher des fichiers cachés sur Mac ?