Connection problems on canon Wireless printer

tigertop2 12:14 08 Oct 2009

I have purchased a Canon Pixma MP640 Wireless Multifunction printer I am having problems trying to get my PCs to find it using wireless. I have XP, Vista and Windows 7 PCs but none of them can recognise/find the Canon. I know it is linked with a good signal to my BT HOME HUB 2A router which is wireless 'n'. The Canon is compatible with wireless bands 'a' and 'g' which is fine as the 'n' router is backwards compatible with these

The Canon is sitting here with the wireless blue light on and the good signal strength on the screen showing it is 'active' with the correct SSID displayed. Other than feeding it a chocolate biscuit to put it in a better mood I am baffled on what to do next. Any suggestions from experts out there please? The Canon help site is down for maintenance right now so no help there.

tigertop2 17:44 09 Oct 2009

Problem solved with the help of a good friend on site

If you are using wireless N you have to input the IP address to get the Printer and the PC to talk to each other. The wireless then works on the lower 2.4GHz 'g' bandwith.
Not exactly as per the manual but it all works in W7, Vista and XP

Incidentally I have learned from Canon they have no plans to change to wireless N in their multifunction devices as it would mean a major change to the internal hardware to improve on the 2.4 GHz band. Seems strange but that is their policy apparently. Case closed

margolewis 12:16 19 Jul 2010

Please tell me (a nontechie) which IP address to put in where? The IP address of the router? The Gateway IP address or the Client IP address? On which settings on the printer? (Told you I was a non-technie)

Canon told me not to do this by the way but they have been absolutely no help at all so I'm prepared to try anything!

tigertop2 15:20 19 Jul 2010

Wish I could help but I gave up on a wireless connection as it would only run at wireless 'g' transmission rates. Have connected it by USB cable and have learned my lesson about checking wireless 'n' when I replace it--which won't be long at the rate it consumes ink. Nice printer, nice printing but not well engineered compared to other less thirsty alternatives. Hope someone else can help you on this.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?