connection problems

Dragon111 12:50 12 Oct 2003

hihi,
ok. 3 ,omths ago, i bought a new computer. When I got it, i installed an online game called Eve. For the 3 months I have been loosing connection to the internet while in the game.
I later discovered that i also loose connection in other online games.
I have ISDN with BT Home Highway which supplies the line and Freeserve Hometime which is my ISP.
My connection can last anything from 10 seconds to the normal 2 hours. Yesterday, I had 4 full runs of 2 hours with only 3 disconnections. One thing I found annoying, is that I lost my connection right in the middle of a fire-fight :(

My ISP has suggested many things, none have succeded.
So, Thier are 5 options open to me I think

1. Have the ppl that built my computer wipe my system clean and reinstall.
2. Get BT to come out and check the connection between thier Home Highway Box and my internal modem.
3. replace my modem.
4. reinstall ALL freeserve info.
5. Get new ISP

I should say that on my old computer, the connection was ok. When I got my new computer, I retrieved my Freeserve account.

I am lost with the reason why this is happening. As are all the techs that I have talked to. The word they use is "pass".
So if anyone can help, I would be very greatful.
Thx

canard 13:16 12 Oct 2003

My daughter had similar prob and got BT to check the line [more than once]. It eventually turned out she was on a prehistoric shared connection and BT fixed it. She also strategically changed to BT as her ISP;result happiness!

Fr0z3n 13:20 12 Oct 2003

If you havent already tried, try a FULL format of your hard drive. I had simnilar problems with pipex adsl when i first had it installed, but the latter solved my problem. Also check for new modems drivers as old/corrupted drivers are always a typical cause for pc problems.

graham√ 13:23 12 Oct 2003

1) Try and find the problem first.

2) Forget it. BT only maintain up to the Highway box. They would come out to test into the socket for errors and dropped packets, but would charge you (about £60 I think) if no fault was found.

3) Once again, find the problem first.

4) Your best and cheapest option to start with.

5) Wouldn't solve anything if the fault is at your end.

Is there a firewall on the new comp? That would be the first place to look.

BarryKeith 15:02 12 Oct 2003

Your new computer probably has WinXP installed, the somewhat useless fire wall provided as part of XP is normally turned on by default, if you have another firewall such as ZoneAlarm running it could be that the problem is caused by interaction between the two firewalls. It is best in such cases to turn off the XP firewall. Go to "Network Connections", right click the icon for your connection and select "Properties", click the "Advanced" tab and untick the box labelled "Protect my computer and network by limiting or preventing access to this computer from the internet.", then click OK and close the window. You should find that the problem has cleared up.

Dragon111 16:45 12 Oct 2003

ok,
yes I do have a firewall. it is ZoneAlarm on my computer. I got it 2 days ago. So...that couldnt be the problem, but i turned off the windows firewall anyway.
Mid week, i will be having my computer wiped clean and everything reinstalled as new.
Yes. I might try BT as my ISP next, and I will get them to check the line again tommorrow.
The modem is V92 i think. HCF 56k modem.
I also just bought PestPatrol and checked for spyware and stuff, but nothing except spyware cookies. I got rid of them just incase :)

graham√ 17:09 12 Oct 2003

Wait a moment. V92 modem. Do you have 'call waiting' on your line, by any chance?

Dragon111 03:07 13 Oct 2003

no, no call waiting

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

The secrets of creating gory VFX

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache