Connection problem with new Vista Laptop

shanklyn 16:46 07 Jan 2008

Hi got myself a new samsung r40 laptop today but keep disconnecting from my wireless router, I have 2 laptops in the house 1 is an Acer, identical to my previous laptop and it never had any connection issues in the past.

The strange thing is that when I connect the signal strength is full (as it always was with my acer) but then in a short time it disconnects. It shows as limted access in the network sharing centre ? Network discovory is showing as custom ? is this correct.

The property I am in is quite small and as i said with the Acers I have never had any issues.

the laptop is running McAfee if this is of any help.

Ashrich 22:33 07 Jan 2008

Have a look through the power settings in Control Panel , it might be that the laptop is going into power saving mode and turning off the wireless adapter , it is buried a bit in the settings , but keep looking , it is in there ! . Also , have a look in Device manager for more settings for the card , under " advanced " , there are usually power savings that can be turned off or sometimes one called " CAM " ( constant awake mode ) that you need to turn on .
Another thing to do is to go to the wireless cards manufacturers site and look for the very latest drivers and install them , it never hurts to keep these up to date .

Ashley

ambra4 02:56 08 Jan 2008

Wireless Card Setting

Right click on Wireless Connection Display Icon on task bar

Click Status-General-Properties

At the top of display the type of Wireless card will be displayed

Click Configure-Click Power Management Tab

Untick if selected "Allow Computer to turn this device off to save power

Network Connection Setting

Click-Start- Setting-Network Connection-New Connection Wizard

Select-Connect to the Internet-Next

Select-Set Up My Connection Manually-Next

Select-Connect using a broadband connection that is always on

Next-Finish

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?