connection problem

Astrid 09:04 20 Jun 2008

For the past three weeks, and occasionally before this, I've connected to the internet when I switch my computer on in the morning, but later in the day, after disconnecting, the green light on my modem flashes and it's touch and go whether I can log on again, even with rebooting. I use OS Windows XP and a Speedtouch 330 modem. I've had the occasional trouble, some months ago, and even bought a new modem, which made no difference at all. I've had the line checked by my server, Plusnet, and also the modem and all hardware checked by an technician, but still I've no guarantee that I can connect after mid-day - I get the error message still: Error 680 No Dial Tone. Is there any other avenue I can explore to solve his problem?

birdface 09:08 20 Jun 2008
  birdface 09:13 20 Jun 2008
  Astrid 16:06 22 Jun 2008

Thank you for the response to my question. I've thoroughly explored the web site and the list of checks there. My connection returned on the 21st for the whole day, and then again yesterday morning. By the p.m. it was gone again. This morning the same thing: all right following first boot and then failed again. This p.m. it's back again, but for how long? After reading the experience of hundreds of others with the same message: Error 680 No dial tone, I can only assume this is an ongoing problem in Windows XP and will go on returning - Internet Providers and BT pretend that it's one's line, which it clearly isn't after all the tests I've carried out. So maybe I'll have to learn to live with constantly rebooting and dropped connections until technology catches up with the flaws in operating systems.

Technotiger 16:38 22 Jun 2008

I would assume that in IE Tools>Internet Options Connections> you do have - Never dial a connection checked?

Astrid 08:34 23 Jun 2008

No, I didn't have this checked, should I have?

Technotiger 08:43 23 Jun 2008

Yes!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?