connection lost, modem flashes red??

--steve 16:53 22 Nov 2006

Sometimes i will try to connect to my talk talk broadband and the modem supplied by them (speedtouch USB) has some fault and the USB light changes from green to flashing red. After i unplug it and plug it in again i try to connect to the internet and have to wait until the computer installs the modem again until it will connect. Then the process will start all over again and after connecting to the internet a certain amount of times it will stop functioning again. i dont think the modem installed properly the first time as whenever i plug it in it comes up with the 'safely remove hardware' icon on the taskbar. If i click on this it will disconnect the internet. however i have tried the 'add new hardware' wizard and it doesnt detect the modem. Please help!!! thanks
Steve.

Graham. 16:57 22 Nov 2006

Is the modem on a USB hub on its own, that is, nothing in the second port?

Kate B 17:15 22 Nov 2006

Those USB modems are notoriously flaky. Is it out of the question to ditch it and buy yourself a simple ethernet modem/router? They don't require any additional software and just work.

--steve 21:21 23 Nov 2006

to: Graham, my USB ports have the printer and the modem and occasionally a pen drive. Any more advice?

to: Kate, I do have another USB modem which came with the computer, but talk talk supplied me with the one i am using, and the internet wont connect using any other modem. But can you recommend any good ethernet modems or routers that arent too expensive? and would work with the talk talk connection? thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?