Connection issue

Hatticus 23:04 23 Sep 2008

Hi all,

I'm having a major issue connecting to the internet on my girlfriends laptop, but it's fine with other PCs/Xbox etc.

It continually says Acquiring Network Address. I have tried using manual IP addresses, and tried giving it public DNS server addresses too, but it doesn't want to play.

The problem happens when I connect wirelessly and when using an Ethernet cable.

Every now and again (I have no idea why) it will say it's connected, and when I check the details it has a 'good' IP address, but I cannot actually access webpages.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Cheers
Tom

Hatticus 23:08 23 Sep 2008

My ipconfig /all says:

DHCP Enabled: Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled: Yes
IP Address: 0.0.0.0
Subnetmask: 0.0.0.0
Default Gateway:
DHCP Server: 255.255.255.255

This is with everything set to Auto.

L8-tian 23:35 23 Sep 2008

--Model number or brand name of router,laptop is it xp or vista?
--Have you enabled any security on the router (WEP/WPA)?
--Is there any other wireless computer in the network?

L8-tian

Hatticus 23:47 23 Sep 2008

-WinXP Home SP2.
-Network cards are: VIA Compatable Fast Ethernet Adaptor and Atheros AR5005G Wireless
-Security is enabled
-Yes, there's another wireless laptop connected (Mac OSX), along with my Xbox 360 wired.

L8-tian 02:31 26 Sep 2008

Since its a security enabled network we need to check for the correct security key.
>> Are you available logging in to the router setup page?
>> May I know the router model number so that I can check with the settings.
>> After confirming the wireless settings we can disable and enable the wireless adapter on the Laptop and try connecting again.
>> Please give me the information of the security and the model number of the router.

Thanks and Regards

L8-tian

mgmcc 08:31 26 Sep 2008

If you are unable to connect with a *WIRED* ethernet connection, then forget about anything to do with "wireless" until you've got the "wired" connection working. Try repairing the TCP/IP stack and Winsock:

Open a Command Prompt window ("Start > Run", type CMD and click OK).

To repair the TCP/IP stack, at the prompt, type...

netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt

...and press Enter

(note the spaces in the command line). The original prompt will reappear, exit the Command Prompt window and reboot the PC.

To reset Winsock entries, at the prompt, type...

netsh winsock reset catalog

...and press Enter

Exit the Command Prompt window and reboot the PC. (If running both repairs, reboot only after running the second command.)

dawood 15:06 26 Sep 2008

Try to disable the encryption on wireless router and test to connect without using encryption, sometimes the problem might due to wrong encryption key. If still cannot connect to wireless network. Check here to help you. click here

Hatticus 15:21 26 Sep 2008

I managed to fix it in the end - had to repair the TCP/IP stack and reset the Winsock, and then uninstall Firefox, Avast! and ZoneAlarm. Reinstalled them again but replaced ZA with Comodo Pro and now everything is working.

Cheers for all the help guys!

Antz 09:49 09 Oct 2008

I have an annoying problem with my ASUS Eee Xp laptop. My network connections have always been reliable until I re-installed Windows on this machine due to stbility issues. I have all the latest updates and installed the LLTD responder. My router (Canon) is set to DHCP, password is correct etc etc. All my other machines ( 2 Vista,1 XP) have no problem. The Asus can connect to the 'net, connect to the Network printer via one of the Vista machines but cannot SEE the Vista machines. The ASUS shows up on the Vista Network map but I can only access it sometimes. I have tried recreating the network connection on the ASUS a hundred times only to get the exact same results. The issue is the same on the Wireless AND the Wired connections. Any help would be REALLY appreciated.

Antz 09:50 09 Oct 2008

Sorry about that, posted in the wrong place.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?