Connection Issue

Gordon999 10:32 20 Feb 2007

A little help please. I'm currently looking at a friends laptop. Basically a tidy up session and updating software etc nothing too drastic.

My question is that she (I think) uses the laptop on the internet at home through Orange on a ethernet connection, but also has a wireless card for the laptop.

I booted the laptop with the wireless card and it picked up my BT wireless router and was happy chatting away with it, but I couldn't connect to the internet. When I connected the laptop via a Xover cable to my pc acting as a residential gateway I was able to connect to the internet that way.

Is this simply a question of settings that I need to look at or is it because her ISP is Orange and therefore denying a wireless connection.

Thanks

Gordoy

silverous 11:44 20 Feb 2007

If you look in Tools, Internet Options, Connections is there anything setup in Lan Settings?

If the wireless card can detect your wireless router and talk to it (and assuming you haven't got any Mac address filtering/WPA/WEP Security on your router) then I see no reason it shouldn't allow you to surf the web.

When you say "couldn't connect to the internet" what exactly happens? In the situation you describe your router makes the connection to the internet so I'm assuming you are getting a page cannot be displayed type error in IE.

Gordon999 12:31 20 Feb 2007

Hi,

From what I remember there's nothing out of the ordinary in the connects tab, but will check again tonight. I'm glad that you feel the same as me...meaning there should be no reason for it not to connect...most frustrating.

When I say cannot connect to the internet I get the normal error message about not being able to connect to the interent, that there may be a problem with the site, etc etc. The normal offline message that appears

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?