Connection failure from computer to monitor

villa385 16:18 16 Oct 2004

(my daughter's) computer was working fine last night. Today when switched on computer, seems to boot up, but monitor just shows message to say monitor working ok. No info from computer to monitor. Have checked obvious, connections etc.

Any ideas, before visit to computer shop on Monday ?

Diemmess 16:25 16 Oct 2004

Just possible - a duff video cable. Have you tried substitution of yours with her's?

villa385 12:31 20 Oct 2004

it was a motherboard and cpu failure

Diemmess 15:10 20 Oct 2004

There always was that possibility. It would have been nice if it had been something simpler/cheaper.

I have had the task of rebuilding 3 with dud mobos. The first 2 were rebuilt financial office has-beens with a PIII and a known tendency to mobo failure. One I did for a friend the other for daughter and grandsons. Somewhat redfaced when both gave up after about 9 months. The third was my own (careless poke with screwdriver while replacing noisy CPU fan). Nothing to see but very dead.

The upshot in each case was lucky finding new mobos which could cope with the older remains. At least the disasters occurred at intervals not all together.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?