connection drop outs on cable broad band

golfpro 14:32 04 Mar 2007

I have a cable broadband connection, with a very large band width (8 MB). This week end (since Friday afternoon), I have been suffering lots of drop outs to my connection, when listening to radio streaming (re-buffering), When this happens the CPU usage goes up from its normal 1-4% to about 50% and the HD is working overtime. Also since it started, its become impossible to run more than one internet program/connection at a time without the connection dropping altogether, yesterday it got so slow to connect that I just gave up and switched off altogether. My PC is completely clean, and the only thing running in the background are the start up programs I have had running for months now without problem.
Before I get onto the cable company tomorrow and complain, could this be anything else except a problem at their end?
XP home, Browser Fire Fox.

birdface 14:39 04 Mar 2007

Have you tried shutting your modem of at the socket for 10 seconds,then leave for 2 minutes.see if that works.

birdface 14:42 04 Mar 2007

Try, Control panel.Network connections,Right click local area connection.See if there are any problems with DNS Cache.

birdface 14:55 04 Mar 2007

Should have said right Click local area connections and press repair.

golfpro 15:24 04 Mar 2007

Tried all that, no problem at my end. But its still doing it.

birdface 15:33 04 Mar 2007

You can try speed test with this,click here If thats ok,It must be one of your programs,

birdface 15:40 04 Mar 2007

I take it you have been in Taskmanager,Applications to make sure there are no other programs running that should not be,You are running Firefox,Could you try another Browser see if you have the same problem,There was a problem with Firefox and messenger but that was a couple of months ago,Not seen any problems with it lately,

phredd 16:59 04 Mar 2007

How old is your modem? I had a similar problem about 6 months ago and it turned out to be that I still had an original modem that was about 5-6 years old and it wasn't capable of sustaining the new high speed connection. A new modem fixed the problem.

golfpro 07:33 05 Mar 2007

My cable modem was changed about 12 months ago, so is almost new. I am waiting to hear from the cable help line, and see what they have to say.

julius44 08:47 05 Mar 2007

Hi golf pro...what cable company is this pls??

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone