connecting wireless (wifi) to usb printer

dkp 19:53 20 Aug 2008

Hello all, this is my first post, and probably a stupid question, but..... :)

I have a Tosh laptop with built in wifi, an no-name base station, both talking to each other and to the internet via a Buffalo WiFi Router Modem WBMR-G54.

I have a new printer, HP L7680, how can I talk to the printer without cables? Can I somehow connect a WiFi dongle to the printer and expect it to 'talk' to the network? Either via the USB or Ethernet port...?

If not, what is the best way to put the printer on to the network, but without wires?

Many thanks in advance

mgmcc 21:17 20 Aug 2008

There are HP Bluetooth Printer adapters which should allow you to print "wirelessly" click here but check it out fully, because you will probably require dedicated HP kit at both the PC end and the printer end which won't be cheap!

ambra4 04:33 21 Aug 2008

You need to install a wireless printer server take a look at this one

Linksys Wireless-G 54Mbps Print Server

click here

Or you can choose a difference model

click here&

Sorted by low to high

dkp 08:35 21 Aug 2008

Thanks to the above for your replies, I will have a look at the links right now.... Will they all allow 2-way traffic, eg Printing AND scanning?

So am I right in assuming that only PCs and laptops can use usb dongles for wifi connection?

Thanks again....

mgmcc 08:47 21 Aug 2008

<<<< So am I right in assuming that only PCs and laptops can use usb dongles for wifi connection? >>>>

Not sure what you're asking, but USB is a "Host Controlled" technology, i.e. it needs to be run by a USB Host Controller such as that in a computer (of whichever operating system). Therefore, you cannot simply plug USB devices into, for example, printers that cannot control them.

ambra4 13:04 21 Aug 2008

“Will they all allow 2-way traffic, eg Printing AND scanning?”

NO only one way to the printer

Read the Note: At bottom of page

This Print Server is NOT compatible with multifunction printers/scanner and does not work with a USB hub that is connected to multiple USB printers.

All multifunction printers / scanner require it to be directly connected to the computer for the scanner to work have not seen or heard of a wireless one as yet

dkp 21:35 21 Aug 2008

Thanks guys for all the info above, especially the host-controlled point. I can appreciate now that a printer cannot 'control' a usb dongle the way a pc/laptop would..... :)

Cheers again

MCE2K5 02:35 22 Aug 2008

This click here is what you want, To Print & Scan Wirelessly,

HP Wireless Printing Upgrade Kit (Q6259A)

Manual click here

at Dabs £45.34 inc vat click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone