Connecting a wireless router with broadband dialup

LynLeach 15:53 02 Feb 2009

Could anybody help me with this problem. I want to set up a wireless router so my son can use his Playstation 3 for online games. I have a broadband dial up connection and bought the Netgear DG834G Wireless ADSL-2 Modem Router.

When attempting to set this up I had to put one end of the supplied phone cable into the ADSL port on the router and the other in the microfilter attached to the phone line. To do this I had to remove the ADSL connection from the filter which is attached to the broadband modem which meant I had no internet connection. The router cannot be set up without internet access. Is there anyway around this or have I bought the wrong equipment!

I'm sorry if the above sounds a bit garbled, but I am a complete novice and would be grateful for any advice.

Lynda.

mgmcc 16:36 02 Feb 2009

>>> The router cannot be set up without internet access

A router must always be configured initially without internet access. The DG834G's setup pages can be accessed by typing 192.168.0.1 into you web browser but this opens a page within the router's settings, not online. Most of the default settings should be OK but obviously you do need to enter your broadband account "Username" and "Password".

martytoon 16:40 02 Feb 2009

Unless I've misunderstood your post, you shouldn't need to access the internet to setup the router. You will need to access the router configuration page to enter your username and password that your ISP will have provided when you first signed up with them.

1. It sounds like you've got the router connections right. You have also connected the etherney cable from your PC to the router?

2. Open your web browser (Exporer, Firefox etc). In the address bar type 192.168.0.1 which is the address for Netgear routers.

3. This will take you to the router sign in screen where you are prompted for a username and password. The default is usually "admin" and "password". Would recommend you change the password.

4. You will then be taken to the configuration screen for the router. This is where you need to add the username/password details provided by your ISP.

5. Once you've done this you should be able to access the internet.

Any help?

ambra4 17:48 02 Feb 2009

“I have a broadband dial up connection and bought the Netgear DG834G Wireless ADSL-2 Modem Router”

Is your present broadband modem connected via a USB port, and that is what you are calling a

broadband dialup

Disconnect the USB modem from the phone line and the computer you can always reconnect if

the ASDL modem/router still not working

Connect Telephone Cable that came in the box to the ASDL/DSL Socket on Filter and to the

ASDL socket on the modem/Router

If you had a Telephone connected to the wall jack before, plug the phone into the socket on the

filter mark Phone

If you have any Phone extensions, Fax Machine, Answering Machine, etc, an ADSL filter must

be installed on each wall jack that a phone is installed

Connect a RJ45 Ethernet cable also in the box from Port 1 on the Router to the LAN socket on

the Computer

If any third party firewalls software is installed on the PCs, uninstall it.

This includes Zone Alarm, Sygate, Kerio, Norton Internet Security, Zero Knowledge Freedom,

Cisco VPN Client, F-Secure, McAfee Firewall, Trend Micro, Comodo, PC Tools Firewall Plus etc.

In many cases, disabling the firewall is not enough; you have to actually uninstall it.

Forget windows firewall there is no need to disable.

Do not install or re-install the firewall until after you have the network functioning properly.

Power up the computer that is connected to the router only and check the following: -

ambra4 17:49 02 Feb 2009

Web Browser Settings

Start IE web browser. Select-Tools-Internet Options-Connection Tab

In the “Connection” screen, there are three selections:

“Never dial a connection”,

“Dial whenever a network connection is not present”

“Always dial my default connection”.

If you can make a selection, select “Never dial a connection”.

If you cannot make a selection, select “LAN Settings”

Untick marks next to any of the displayed Options:

“Automatically detect settings”,

“Use automatic configuration script”

“Use a proxy server”.

Click “OK”. Then click “OK” again in the “Internet Options” page.

Network Adapter Set-up

Also called a LAN card (Local Area Network) or NIC card (Network Interface Connection)

Click-Start-Settings-Network Connection

Double-click on the “Network Connection”

Right-click on the “Local Area Connection” associated with your network adapter

Select “Properties” from the drop-down menu.

In the “Local Area Connection Properties” window all boxes should be ticked

At bottom of display tick the box “Show Icon in Notification Area When Connected

A display Icon will appear in the task bar when you have finish the setup

Click-Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Click the “Properties” button

Select “Obtain an IP address automatically

Select “Obtain DNS server address automatically”

Click- Advanced-Click-WINS Tab- Select-Enable LMHOSTS Lookup if Untick

Do Not Change Any Other Setting

Click “OK”.

Other Lan Card Setting

Right click on Local Area Connection Display Icon in the task bar

Click Status-General-Properties

At the top of display the type of Lan card will be displayed

Click Configure-Click-Advanced Tab

Click- Flow Control-Change to Hardware Default (Auto)

Click – Connection Type – Change to Auto-Negotiation

Click-Power Management Tab

Untick if selected "Allow Computer to turn this device off to save power

Network Connection Setting

Click-Start- Setting-Network Connection-New Connection Wizard

Select-Connect to the Internet-Next

Select-Set Up My Connection Manually-Next

Select-Connect using a broadband connection that is always on

Next-Finish

LynLeach 17:49 02 Feb 2009

Many thanks for your replies. I followed your instructions and everything worked!

Once again, thanks for your advice

Lynda

ambra4 17:50 02 Feb 2009

Router Set-up

Power On The Router and reset back to factory default by pressing and hold the reset button at

the back of the router for 10 seconds and then release

Wait 1-2 Min’s until it synch with your broadband ISP

Start your browser and enter the router access code, check the manual for the correct code

Once you have access the router you need to use the following setting

Connection Type = PPPoA

Encapsulation Method: VCMUX

VPI: 0

VCI: 38

Authentication: Auto

Keep Alive: On

User Idle Timeout: 4320

NAT: On

QoS: On

User Name & Password that you presently use to access your ISP service

Once the router set-up is completed and you have SAVE the setting log out and close browser

The Router will reboot wait until all the lights is steady about 2 Min’s

You should see 5 green lights showing on Modem/Router

The 2 displays Icon should be in the task bar

Right Click on the icon and Click –Status – Click Support Tab

What you should see is the following:

Address Type: Assigned by DHCP

IP Address 192.186.1.XXX which is the Computer IP Address

Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway 192.168.X.X which is the router IP Address

If you click the Detail button you will see a lot more information the WINS Server is always blank

If you have any blank spaces (Gateway, IP address etc) you need to recheck the Router Setup

and Lan Card setting

It is sometimes desirable to reboot the router by Power it off and back on; by removing the

power cable if you cannot access the Internet or find that access is very slow this will allow the

modem/router to refresh the setting and synch with your ISP servers

You should now have access to the Internet

It is strongly recommended by ALL router suppliers that you use a physically RJ45 Ethernet

Cable connected to the Router for router setup.

Using a wireless connected computer for setup is NOT recommended to access router setup at
any time.

ambra4 21:59 02 Feb 2009

Always glad to help

Enjoy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?