Connecting wireless router

Toni84 19:17 30 Apr 2008

Hello I'm a computer newbie and I was wondering if anyone could help me with my problem.
I live in a shared house and my friend (who lives directly below me) kindly let me connect to the internet through her phone line as she didn't have a computer at the time she didn't need the internet but she has now so she called the phone company (virgin media) and they advised her to get a wireless router so she can have internet too, the problem is I am having trouble connecting the router to my friends computer downstairs and I need to know how to over come this can anyone help get me started.

Taff™ 08:02 04 May 2008

First of all, is the connection a cable connection to the property?

If it is Virgin would have placed a small black modem, presumably in her flat which is connected to the cable. It has an RJ45 Ethernet connector, which looks slightly wider than an RJ11 normal telephone modem connector. If your friend has bought a wireless router as well this will be connected to the ethernet port.

It would be handy to know what make and model it is. Post Back with details.

If the wireless router is on, your computer needs to be wireless enabled to receive the signal. What make and model of computer do you have and is it wireless enabled?

Toni84 15:34 04 May 2008

I have the internet connection up stairs and my friend bought a wireless router which she needs to connect to her machine(downstairs)to my cable connection upstairs (without the wire preferably). I have a cable modem. So am I right in thinking that in order to help me you need to know the make and model of my friends machine and if it is wireless enabled or not. How would I find this out?

ambra4 23:16 04 May 2008

Cable Modem To Router Set-Up

Power everything off, including the Cable Modem, which must be left without power for three or four minutes

This is IMPORTANT so that it loses the association between the existing connection (recognised by its MAC address) and the IP address that it has allocated to it.

Connect an Ethernet Cable between the router's WAN Port and the Cable Modem's Ethernet Port.

Connect the Ethernet Cable from your PC's network card port to Port 1 of the Router's LAN Ports

Power on the Cable Modem when fully booted with all lights displayed

Power on the Router when the router is fully up and running

Power on the computer and wait until it is fully booted up

The Cable Modem will recognise a new connection and allocate an IP address to it.

Now launch your web browser and type the Router's IP address access code, which you will find in the manual, into the browser address bar

This will open the configuration pages to set up the router and wireless networking.

Once the router set-up is completed and you have SAVE the setting log out and close browser

Reboot the Router by power it off and back on and wait 1-2 Min’s

You should see 5 green lights showing on Modem/Router

The 2 displays Icon should be in the task bar-Right Click-Status-Support

What you should see is the following:

Address Type: Assigned by DHCP

IP Address 192.186.1.XXX which is the Computer IP Address

Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway 192.168.X.X which is the router IP Address

If you click the Detail button you will see a lot more information the WINS Server is always blank

You should now be able to browse the Internet

If you have any blank spaces (Gateway, IP address etc) you need to recheck the Router Setup and Lan Card setting

All router have a reset button at the back of the router, which will reset the router back to the factory default setting if required

It is sometimes desirable to reboot the router by Power it off and back on by removing the power cable if you cannot access the Internet or find that access is very slow this will allow the router to refresh the setting from your ISP servers

ambra4 23:16 04 May 2008

Setting Up The Wireless System in the Router

Access the router and click the Wireless section in the router setting

If you not going to use the wireless Disable it

Make sure that the wireless is Enable

You now have to set-up the Wireless Network Name the SSID address on the router first

By default some wireless router come setup with the manufacture name as the SSID address 3Com, Linksys, Belkin etc,

You should change the SSID address to a name you want to give your Wireless Network, 452john06 / ezyclip01 etc which would allow you to easily identify your network

You should also change the Wireless Channel # the default is normally Channel 11 which most persons uses so change it to 6 / 8 this will save you having interferences and low signal quality from other network close by using channel 11

Write it down; or save on a flash drive as the same SSID name and Channel # and Security Code must be used on All wireless device when setting then up to access your wireless system

You do not have to set-up the security system as yet

Save the setting and log out of router, make sure that you can access the router vie the wireless device and browse the Internet first, if you get it wrong the router will not allow the wireless device to connect to the wireless system or allow access to the Internet

Laptop Wireless Device Setting

Most laptop computer these days comes with a building wireless card; some required you to switch on the Wireless Radio Antenna via a small slide switch on the laptop

Or using the FN (Function) key you have to hold down the FN key and press the key with a small antenna icon to turn on the wireless card

Check that the wireless card is Enable/Disable from inside the Network Connection Area

Start-Setting-Network Connection-Right click-Wireless Area Connection-Enable or Disable as required

Some times you have to Disable and Enable before the card will connect to the wireless system

If not sure if laptop have a antenna switch check the manual PC layout quick guide

Check out these site before you set-up the wireless system could save you a lot of time and headache.

click here

click here

Setting Up The Wireless Security System

Check out these sites before you set-up the Wireless Security System

click here

click here

click here

Strawballs 14:37 05 May 2008
  Toni84 22:58 19 May 2008

Thanks everyone, you are all so helpfull

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans échec ?