connecting to a wireless network

mad1234 08:03 08 May 2008

is there a maximum no of wireless connections you can make to a wireless router?

rawprawn 08:18 08 May 2008

How many computers will be connected to the network?
When setting up a home network, you should determine the number of computers that will be permanently on the network, as well any guests that might join your network on a temporary basis. You should also have a connection available for any Internet-connected game consoles you may own. However, be sure that the number of connections your network has does not exceed the maximum number of connections allowed by your ISP.
See

click here

mad1234 08:54 08 May 2008

can't seem to find anything from tiscali about a maximum no of pcs.
what has happened is i had to wipe my laptop & set it back to the factory defaults but now when i try to connect to the same network i was connected to before the router doesn't even show up on the wirless network list. this happened yesterday with a friends laptop even though both laptops were within 10 feet of the router

any thoughts?

Taff™ 09:14 08 May 2008

In theory the maximum number on a wireless router is 254. Back to your problem though. Can you see other wireless networks? If you can, perhaps your router isn`t transmitting it`s SSID or your wireless adapter isn`t switched on. Can you connect to the router via an Ethernet cable and get on the internet?

mad1234 10:39 08 May 2008

i have 2 other pc's connected wirelessly to this router & they are connected ok it just seems to be any new connections that i am having problems with.
yes ethernet cables work fine
how can i check if it is transmitting it's SSID?

Strawballs 12:08 08 May 2008

To check on the SSID go into the routers web based setup pages it will be something like 192.168.1.1 into the address bar of your browser it varies slightly depending on the make of router then from there you will be able to check/change SSID, it would be better to change it to something that only you would know that does not identify you so that when you pick up a list of availiable networks you know which one is yours

Switcher 12:53 08 May 2008

Number of users depends on the standard of the equipment used. 64 for 802.11a or 32 for 802.11b or 802.11g

mad1234 14:02 08 May 2008

Strawballs i have tried to get onto the router to check the settings but we have 2 routers bridged together & they both had the same ip address. i had to change one to i think it was 192.168.1.2 but i'm not sure.
if i type the above in then i get page cannot be found but if i type the default in i get the other router

Switcher i am almost certain that the most i have had connected are 6 pc's or laptops altogether
can't remember if they are a,b or g

mad1234 21:31 08 May 2008

bump

Strawballs 22:09 08 May 2008

Can you connect your laptop to the 2 routers by wire individually in turn to access the setup pages one at a time to make any adujstments to the SSID or encryption settings?

mad1234 07:28 09 May 2008

thanks Strawballs
i have i pc running vista connected to the troubled router via a lan cable. do i do it the same way as i would with wireless by putting in the 192.168.1.1 or whatever it is in to IE?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone