Connecting to wireless

jaylingzz 14:28 14 Aug 2006

Hi, i have recently setup my computer for wireless and have added my laptop to the network. The laptop is connected but i cannot access the internet and when signing onto msn messenger it says that the default gateway is offline....what do i need to do? Please help. Jaylingzz.

ade.h 14:57 14 Aug 2006

Are the clients set to use the LAN connection (via the Connections tab of Internet Options)? Are your client firewalls configured to allow WAN traffic (via the adapter's IP range)?

click here

jaylingzz 16:58 14 Aug 2006

Thanx for response but im not really that good with computers so not sure what u mean? The LAN is disabled on the laptop, when it is enabled it says network cable unplugged. The laptop is connected using atheros wireless network adapter.

ade.h 17:02 14 Aug 2006

Er, no; the LAN is not (or should not be) disabled. Otherwise you would have no working adapter at all. LAN = Local Area Network. I think you must mean that your Ethernet adapter is disabled.

Either way, I need to know the answers to those questions before we can work out what's wrong.

jaylingzz 17:48 14 Aug 2006

Sorry, i meant the ethernet is disabled. I think the LAN connection is being used, as i said i don't really know what i am doing or looking for. In LAN settings via connections in internet options none of the boxes are ticked for automatic configuration or proxy server. Is that any use? As for the firewall question i dont know how i would find out about WAN traffic.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?