connecting to wifi with usb dongle

dangerus1 15:06 27 Sep 2013
Answered

My daughters Desktop has no wireless card and her router is too far away to cable connect,I have installed a wifi USB dongle which works fine. The problem I have is when the PC is shut down when it is next started there is no connection. The message is "Connections available" when clicked on the relevant one it asks for the password (router) Is this a regular thing with using a dongle?. or am I doing something wrong? This is not really a problem as we now know the password by heart

Ian in Northampton 15:32 27 Sep 2013

Have you used the dongle's manufacturer's software to manage it - or are you asking Windows to manage it? I used to have the problem you're experiencing but now, when I install a dongle. I only install the driver - never the other software. With Windows managing it, you should find it connects automatically each time.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:35 27 Sep 2013

Are you using the dongles softwre or windows software to connect?

What op system XP vista w7?

dangerus1 17:45 27 Sep 2013

I'm using the dongle software (Trend). To use Windows it is asking for internet access to search for drivers which obviously I don't have. Operating system is Windows 7. If I installed a wireless PCI card would that solve the problem, they seem cheap enough on eBay.

onthelimit1 17:47 27 Sep 2013

I think all you need to do is to tick 'use windows to manage...' or words to that effect on the wireless tab of network connections (can't remember which precisely as I'm on my PC at the mo)

Ian in Northampton 20:42 27 Sep 2013

If your installation setup is anything like the ones I've used, when you install from the disk, it asks you whether you want to install the driver only, or the manufacturer's software. If your installation is/was like that, you could just uninstall it, then reinstall it, this time choosing just the driver option.

dangerus1 20:52 27 Sep 2013

If I put the disc in that came with the dongle how do I get Windows to manage it instead of Trend software as you all seem to agree that is the solution

If I put the disc in that came with the dongle how do I get Windows to manage it instead of Trend software as you all seem to agree that is the solution

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:20 27 Sep 2013
  dangerus1 08:51 28 Sep 2013
Answer

Sorry about the triple post.

I installed using the disc that came with the Trend dongle as I did not know how to download just the drivers using Windows, after a lot of messing around I have found after I put in the Router password I got the message fom the icon (R/H side taskbar near clock) the message "Connections are available" clicked onTalkTalk-22222 and connect came up, clicked on it and I was connected. It's a small price to pay for using a dongle as it only takes seconds, something she will get used to over time I'll mark this post as closed, thanks everyone who helped, appreciated.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iPhone X review

How to find a font: Discover the name of a typeface with these apps

The best iPhone for 2017

Comment créer un compte PayPal pour payer en ligne ?