Connecting Wifi to old Laptop with usb 1.1

belcanto 14:07 27 Feb 2008

Hi there, a friend of mines mum has an old laptop that she wants to connect wirelessly to the household sky router. I gave her an old 54g usb wifi stick but even though it can connect to the router, she cant surf the net from the laptop.

The laptop uses usb 1.1, we have put in the connection code but still no joy, we also installed the belkin wifi software could that be part of the problem.

I hope someone can help

Belcanto

Kemistri 16:15 27 Feb 2008

I would never really recommend the use of any such connection management software unless your OS does not natively support wireless networking. I do not think that USB 1.1 would normally be an issue as long as the device's driver supports it -- if in doubt, ask the manufacturer via its website. I have never had the need to install a network adapter onto a 1.1 USB bus. If you get no success, use a PCMCIA card instead.

belcanto 19:32 03 Mar 2008

Still no joy-tried the wifi pc card trick, it seems to detect the network breilfy but wont connect. I was wondering if I should try to turn off the firewall breifly to see if that makes a difference. Also for some reason the laptop has lost the tcp/ip options, would installing service pack two make any difference?

TIA-Belcanto

Ashrich 23:01 04 Mar 2008

Older laptops with lower power processors ( and usually not enough memory )do have trouble decrypting certain security measures , WPA in particular even if running XP , and USB 1.1 will also struggle with a 54mb connection . Try lowering the security to WEP and use the USB dongle as 802.11b only and see if that helps . Letting Windows manage the connection ( XP onwards only ) would also make a good difference .

Ashley

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?