connecting wi fi laptop to netgear wi fi router

tryinghard 18:56 18 Aug 2007

My desktop computer(no wireless function) is connected via ethernet cable to my netgear wireless router and it all works well. My laptop which is using windows XP has wireless functionality but I have never set it up or used it. I have tried to read and understand the manuals but still do not know how to link my laptop wirelessly to my router. Please can you help Thanks

PalaeoBill 19:32 18 Aug 2007

From your desktop, browse to the IP address of the netgear router (check your manual - it is probably something like 192.168.0.1).
Login and on the setup menu, click on the 'Wirless Settings' menu. If the check box for Wireless Access Point isn't already ticked, tick it. Make a note of the SSID.
On the laptop run the 'New Connection Wizard' in Network Connections off the Start Menu and click your way through a wireless network setup.
When it is all up and running, (but not before), I strongly suggest you switch encryption on and use WPA or WEP (Google for instructions).

tryinghard 08:54 19 Aug 2007

Dear PalaeoBill Thank you for your advice. I will try to connect again today.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?