Connecting Vista Laptop to XP Desktop

aca 21:57 07 Feb 2009

Grateful for advice.

"Helping" a friend. Want to connect a laptop that is connecting to internet via Talk Talk wirelessly through router/modem (with Vista) to a desktop that is connected to same router/modem via LAN cable but is running XP Pro.

Would like to share files/network/printer

I think I could sort if laptop was running xp but struggling.

Thanks

mgmcc 22:12 07 Feb 2009

If the folders and printer that you want to share are in the XP PC, having Vista in the Laptop shouldn't make it any more complicated. Make sure that the folders you want to have available to the Vista Laptop have been "shared" by right clicking and selecting the Sharing & Security option. Similarly, "share" the Printer.

Make sure that any firewall software running in the XP PC has been configured to allow access to the Laptop. Also, both computers should be in the same Workgroup.

Have a look at my posting click here for details of setting up a "Network Printer" in Vista.

T0SH 22:36 07 Feb 2009

File and printer sharing will work fine with XP and Vista just remember first to change the workgroup name to be the same on both machines

Turn on file and printer sharing on both machines then choose add a printer on the Vista machine choose a network printer connected to another machine on a local area network (this will be visible using the browse option and look for the name of the PC with the printer attached expanding this will bring the printer into view), if you are connected online tell the add printer wizard to intall the drivers automatically should find and install a Vista version of drivers

Cheers HC

aca 08:45 08 Feb 2009

thanks

I had looked on both pcs in network places and neither seemed to be seeing each other

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?