connecting a virgin modem to wlan dsl?

xroguexkevinx 09:02 06 Aug 2010

Hi,
i just got virgin media internet at 20 mp download. i didnt recieve my router and wont get it till next week, my question is can i connect my virgin media modem which is active and supplies a LAN line out to a adsl router while im waiting? would the lan line work in the adsl port on the router is my question?

i havent tried this yet but wont be able to untill tonight so i thought id ask the question now to save me potential hours of misery later.

many thanks

Taff™ 09:30 06 Aug 2010

The ADSL router, presumably from another ISP, won`t work with the Virgin Cable modem. There are two types, one for cable modems and ADSL Routers which work on copper wire BT type telephone lines.

Simsy 10:11 06 Aug 2010

it depends on the ADSL router...

I don't know how to, or which settings you need to change, but you plug the LAN out from the modem into one of the ethernet sockets on the ADSL router, and then configure the device to ignore the ADSL modem part of the device... so you are using just the "router" part of the ADSL router.

Post here what model it is and I suspect someone will be able to help... (though this might be better in the "Networking" forum?)

Good luck,

Regards,

Simsy

xroguexkevinx 11:45 06 Aug 2010

the router im borrowing of a freind is a siemens Gigaset SE587 WLAN dsl (tiscali) even if i cant get the wireless working it would be nice to be able to connect my laptop and xbox online at the same time. currently we just have the modem giving one lan connection

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone