Connecting VCR to PC via VGA

pwalsh54 13:20 12 Feb 2009

Hi guys, I'm new here and I need some help connecting a VCR to my PC with some step by step instructions.

I have the Fujitsu Siemens Amilo Notebook which has a VGA port on the side. I bought a Scart to VGA cable and nothing really happens when I plug it in appart from my screen changes dimensions.

All I am wanting to do is create movie files from VHS tapes. I know I did this before a few years back using an S Video lead but my PC only has the VGA port.

I previously used Windows Movie Maker to capture the VHS and create media files.

Please can anyone help me? Can I use the Scart to VGA cable I bought to do this? What is the cheapest option. Thanks in advance.

ex-wirecutter 13:31 12 Feb 2009

I am not an expert but is it possible the VGA port on your notebook is for output only ?
If so you will need a device to adapt the VGA output from your VCR to connect to your USB port .

pwalsh54 13:43 12 Feb 2009

You mean something like this?

[URL]click here [/URL]

ex-wirecutter 14:06 12 Feb 2009

No that's far too expensive , I use a little gadget called " Xtremeit easy grabber " , only cost a few pounds and includes editing software .

ex-wirecutter 14:26 12 Feb 2009

Try this click here

ex-wirecutter 11:34 13 Feb 2009

Even if my suggestion was no use , it would have been nice to get a " thank you for trying" .

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?