connecting vcr to pc

tadpole1 18:25 10 May 2004

I want to connect my vcr to my pc so that I can edit video tapes on my pc and then transfer to DVD. I plan to use either windows movie maker or Pinnacle Studio. I've got an s-video port on my pc. Do I just need to buy a scart to s-video cable or is that too simple?

Totally-braindead 18:28 10 May 2004

Although you can do it this way, I'm sure that the S video is not up to the amount of data you will have coming in, I'm fairly certain you will need to use either Firewire or USB 2.0.

Totally-braindead 18:31 10 May 2004

Have a look at click here they do this card and another one slightly cheaper so for only £13.50 you can add Firewire to your PC.

tadpole1 18:32 10 May 2004

But how do I connect those to my vcr?

Totally-braindead 18:42 10 May 2004

Have a wee look at click here this is only one site I'll see if I can find others for you, by the way a friend of mine wanted to try this a tear or so ago and gave up because his computer wasn't fast enough, he had a Celeron 800 and analogue video takes much more processing power than digital(like from a digital camcorder).

Totally-braindead 18:44 10 May 2004

Heres something else to look at click here=

€dstowe 18:50 10 May 2004

I assume you have an ordinary VHS VCR. If so, and it is fitted with an S-video output it will be perfectly adequate to feed the signal into your computer for conversion to digital.

Remember though that only top range VCRs have S-video and even though you may have a SCART connector with a S-video output, it isn't necessarily connected to anything within the VCR itself. Read the VCR manual.

Usually if a graphics card is fitted with S-video, it will also have a so-called "composite" input. This is a yellow coloured phono plug.

Note that all of these connections are picture only and you will have to make other arrangements for the sound input.

€d

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?