Connecting two PCs with router.

jezzabevan 21:47 09 Feb 2006

I want to connect my two PCs with my Mercury ADSl Router so they can both be on the internat at the same time. One PC has Windows XP and the other is Windows ME. The PC with ME does not have an ethernet port but the router has USB connection. It works on its own as a modem on XP but not working on ME. May sound confusing but thats because i am totally stuck. Please help. Thanks

mgmcc 18:52 10 Feb 2006

Presumably in order to connect via USB instead of ethernet, it is necessary to install software to create a virtual network adapter.Have you done this?

jezzabevan 19:38 10 Feb 2006

I have used the software but Windows ME on my PC wont allow me to configure the router. Any ways around this?

mgmcc 20:02 10 Feb 2006

You shouldn't need to *configure* the router from the ME PC if it has already been set up from the XP PC which is managing to get online. All you need to do is (or should be) to connect via USB to the router. The connection should then get its IP address from the router and have internet access. To check if you have got an IP address, open a Command Prompt window and type:

IPCONFIG /ALL

and press Enter. You should then see details of all adapters in the PC. The entry for your USB connection to the router should have an IP address of 192.168.x.x or possibly 10.x.x.x

jezzabevan 13:22 11 Feb 2006

when i looked at the command prompt window it came up with this
Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . : SOPHIE
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
NetBIOS Scope ID. . . . . . :
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . : No
NetBIOS Resolution Uses DNS : No

0 Ethernet adapter :

Description . . . . . . . . : PPP Adapter.
Physical Address. . . . . . : 44-45-53-54-00-00
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . :
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255
Primary WINS Server . . . . :
Secondary WINS Server . . . :
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . :
Lease Expires . . . . . . . :

C:\WINDOWS>
So i doesnt look as though i have an IP address. I'm not even 100% sure if the ME PC recognises the router!!! On The XP one it comes up as u said it would

pipedream 13:51 11 Feb 2006

If your router's got more network sockets it may be easier to buy a network card (£5-£10, plus cable) & install in the ME PC?

jezzabevan 14:05 11 Feb 2006

Unfortunately the router doesnt but i may invest in one that does and buy a network card. Thanks a lot for your help

mgmcc 14:43 11 Feb 2006

It certainly isn't getting an IP address. You could try "renewing" the IP address by running the command:

IPCONFIG /RENEW

(or for Windows ME it might be "IPCONFIG /RENEW_ALL")

If that still doesn't work, try allocating a fixed IP address in the same range as the router and other PC, but if there is a basic problem of non-communication between router and PC, that might not get you any further forward.

mgmcc 14:45 11 Feb 2006

<<< Unfortunately the router doesnt but i may invest in one that does and buy a network card >>>

You don't need another router, just a "Network Switch" to provide additional ports.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?