connecting two pc`s to the internet

denis93c 18:34 24 Jul 2005

i have two windows xp home edition pc`s,one on ntl 1mb broadband with 256mb of ram,the other which is not connected to the internet has 128mb ram.
what is the cheapest and easiest way to get the second pc connected to the internet?

AcidBurn7uk 19:10 24 Jul 2005

the easiest is to buy a lenght or cat5 with rj45 jacks on, 2 NIC's (Network installation Cards) and little crossover switch. All these can be picked up for next to nothing.

Once you have the two network cards in your machines plug the cable is as follows

PC2-Crossover------------------------PC1---internet.

Then run the network configuration wizard on both PCs and you should be good to go.

This method has some serious flaws though.

1. In my experience swapping files between machines can be a bit hit & miss

2. Both PC's must be turned on for the second PC to access the net!

The best setup (but not the cheapest) would be as follows:

PC2------- --------Router-----internet
PC1-------/

By using a router (not a hub) you only need to have the PC you are using switched on the browse the net. Also the router acts as an addition firewall (know as a hardware firewall)

This is the best option, particualrly if you ever want to introduce a 3rd PC

Another option, if you have a large distance between the pc is to use wireless! I havn't used woreless personally but people who have reat it quite highly

Read more about it here: click here

AcidBurn7uk 19:17 24 Jul 2005

whoaa, my 2nd diagram went funny, try this image instead. Its .gif so should be quick

click here

woodchip 19:59 24 Jul 2005

click here
If you have a Ethernet connectore in the PC. You do not need to network them so you can have one or both on the net together

SEASHANTY 20:40 24 Jul 2005
  denis93c 14:41 03 Aug 2005

all working fine cheers folks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?