Connecting Two PC's For Gaming Purposes

babybell 16:40 05 Nov 2008

You'll have to excuse my ignorance but I am not up with my networking knowledge. I have a desktop PC and a laptop and I want to connect them together so that I can play a two player PC game. Can someone tell me what cable I need and how easy it will be to connect the two? Cheers

mgmcc 22:35 05 Nov 2008

If all you want to do is connect the two computers directly, i.e. there is no "internet" involvement in the arrangement, connect a *CROSSOVER* ethernet cable between their network adapters (the RJ45 ports).

Although Windows will by default allocate APIPA IP addresses (Automatic Private IP Addressing) in the 169.254.x.x range, you might find connections more reliable by allocating fixed IP addresses manually to the two "Local Area Connections".

To do this, open the Network Connections folder ("Start > Run", type NCPA.CPL and click OK), right click the Local Area Connection and select Properties.

In XP, highlight the entry for "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" and click the Properties button.

In Vista, highlight the entry for "Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)" and click the Properties button.

In the Properties sheet that opens, click the option to "Use the following IP address" and type in:

IP address - 192.168.0.1 (in the first PC)

IP address - 192.168.0.2 (in the second PC)

Subnet Mask - 255.255.255.0 (in *BOTH* PCs)

Click "OK" back through all open boxes.

dawood 16:03 07 Nov 2008

You can also take a look on this simple article talking about how to use crossover cable to connect 2 PCs directly click here . Hope it helps.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?